What's new

Diversion If I'm using a hosted whitelist, can I also whitelist a specific domain?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HorseCalledHorse

Regular Contributor
I'm using a hosted whitelist in Diversion and also wanted to whitelist a specific domain (tags.news.com.au). For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this. Is it possible, or will I have to stop using the hosted whitelist if I want to add domains of my own?

I use pihole and it's as simple as adding the specific domain.

1644029197915.png

Or you can wildcard / regex

1644029236590.png

You can also add them using curated lists for blocking or whitelisting
1644029330253.png

1644029357827.png

You can explore el edit list -> edit white list option

That's exactly what I thought would work as well. The problem being, because I'm using a hosted whitelist, I don't get any option to edit or add an entry. Instead I get this:

Code:
 Edits are not active until processed

1. whitelist hosted settings
2. Edit blacklist
3. Edit wildcard-blacklist
4. Re-download and process all lists
5. List Settings: Colors on, Pagination 20
    Auto-add www/non-www domain off
6. Delete backup files (4)

Enter your selection [1-6 e=Exit] 1

URL of hosted whitelist:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anudeepND/whitelist/master/domains/whitelist.txt

1. Disable hosted whitelist
2. Change whitelist URL
3. Re-download and process whitelist
4. Hard coded whitelist setting

Enter your selection [1-4 e=Exit]

It looks like it's an either/or situation: either use a hosted whitelist or make your own whitelist entires. So if I use a hosted whitelist, I can't make any additions of my own.

If I disable the hosted whitelist I am given an option to keep the entries as my local whitelist, so I guess I'll do that and then add to it.

That's exactly what I thought would work as well. The problem being, because I'm using a hosted whitelist, I don't get any option to edit or add an entry. Instead I get this:

Code:
 Edits are not active until processed

1. whitelist hosted settings
2. Edit blacklist
3. Edit wildcard-blacklist
4. Re-download and process all lists
5. List Settings: Colors on, Pagination 20
    Auto-add www/non-www domain off
6. Delete backup files (4)

Enter your selection [1-6 e=Exit] 1

URL of hosted whitelist:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anudeepND/whitelist/master/domains/whitelist.txt

1. Disable hosted whitelist
2. Change whitelist URL
3. Re-download and process whitelist
4. Hard coded whitelist setting

Enter your selection [1-4 e=Exit]

It looks like it's an either/or situation: either use a hosted whitelist or make your own whitelist entires. So if I use a hosted whitelist, I can't make any additions of my own.

If I disable the hosted whitelist I am given an option to keep the entries as my local whitelist, so I guess I'll do that and then add to it.
I see what you mean now. I have not use hosted whitelist before, didn't aware both cannot exists together. Perhaps a feature request to @thelonelycoder ?

Edit:
It appears both use the same whitelist file. A workaround is to manually add your specific domain in the whitelist.

Last edited:
I see what you mean now. I have not use hosted whitelist before, didn't aware both cannot exists together. Perhaps a feature request to @thelonelycoder ?

Edit:
It appears both use the same whitelist file. A workaround is to manually add your specific domain in the whitelist.
The idea behind a hosted white, black or wildcard-blacklist is for those that manage multiple routers and decide to host their own lists and only have to manipulate them for all the routers they control.
If you want full control of your lists on a single router, use the locally built in lists.

[/URL]
Yeah, having the option to keep the whitelist entries as the local file is a pretty elegant workaround. And probably an indication that @thelonelycoder has already thought it through:)

EDIT: ^ Yep, he's thought it through!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!