What's new

I'm going to upgrade my wireless router which one should I buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjislas

New Around Here
I've been considering the Linksys WRT600N or D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR-655?
The storage option is not a must, but will be a nice to have. I'm looking for the best speed and range, also easy to setup.
Most a basic home network 2-4 PCs, Wii, PS3 and in the future probably a media receiver.
Thanks

You might want to mosey on over to the router charts and have a look at the two. I use a 655 and I've been pretty impressed with it.

Also keep in mind the storage options for routers are always painfully slow.

Keep in mind to look at the firmware the review was made with and what changes have been done to the firmware since. For example the Linksys 610 router just had a new firmware which claims:
Last Released Date: 08 / 27 / 08
Firmware version: v1.00.00.18
- Updated wireless drivers to improve overall wireless performance.

so in theory the wireless perf should be better then what was measured in the review. The same thing applies to all the other brands/models too so in theory one that did very poorly in the review could have gotten a new firmware that would make it the best perf now, hard to tell.

(this is why I hate buy wireless stuff, especially since draft-n being so new means the firmware changes are more likly to bring big changes)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!