What's new

I'm undecided between asus rt-ac66n or asus rt-n66u Help me to choose

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, thanks, that helps put it in perspective, and it's about what I figured.

It seems to be anyone's guess as to when there will be 802.11ac clients, especially in terms of being built into laptops and handheld devices, but it seems a ways off.

Right now the RT-66NU can be had for $60 less than the RT-AC66U, so that one probably makes the most sense for now.

My real goal is to be able to support the throughput I get from my ISP (currently ~36Mb), with some room to scale up as that increases (I wouldn't be surprised if it is up to 50 or even 100Mb within a year or two). My current router (RT-N16 running a version of Tomato (Toastman) from a year ago) doesn't even come close, so it's a bottleneck (for wireless clients). In addition to the throughput, I'm concerned about VPN capability (preferably not PPTP), dual-WAN, and Firewalling. I may also want to explore QoS if it gets to the point where it's stable.

[I hope this is all closely enough related to the OP's question that it doesn't come across as hi-jacking the thread :)]

Right now the RT-66NU can be had for $60 less than the RT-AC66U, so that one probably makes the most sense for now

I've had to return multiple N66U because it wasn't playing nice with my modem + ISP. Picked up an AC66U for only $30 more and it's working much better (especially on 5GHz) and is far more stable thus far (not a single connection drop-out). 5GHz would NEVER work on the N66U (crappy range)

Also noticed that it runs much cooler than the N66U as well. If you can find the AC66U at a price not that far off from the N66U - I would definitely get that model instead.

hi friends,
I'm undecided on what to buy asus router.
asus rt-ac66n to 180 euro or asus rt-n66u to 132 €??

my fears on the model rt-ac66u are as follows:
STEP 1 I'm afraid that the frequency of 5 GHz is more 'harmful to health than the 2.4 ghz.
STEP 2 wlan standard ac and 'still draft
STEP 3 the new router does not support the firmware tomato etc etc
STEP 4 I fear that my wifi devices operating at 2.4 ghz see Sansung galaxy s2 netbook asus 10,005 d multimedia player Xtreamer work worse than the other router rt-n66u.

what do you advise me??
thank you very much and sorry for my poor English.
cordial greetings hdv

I'm undecided between asus rt-ac66n to 180 euro or asus rt-n66u
Help me to choose

;)
Easy. Seeing as there are hardly any 802.11ac wireless adapters available on the retail level go with the RT-N66U. It's cheaper and plenty fast enough. If you need more speed then the new 500mps powerline Ethernet is your friend. See now wasn't that easy?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!