What's new

Implementing Dual WAN in ASUS XT8 with IPTV taking the LAN Ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BahgatSaber

New Around Here
Hi,

I have 2 Asus XT8 Routers setup connected to a Fiber setup. for me to use the Fiber, the IPTV in the ASUS router has to be ON on manual settings, which takes away my LAN 2 & LAN 3 Ports. (it just preserves them for IPTV)
So now, I have my fiber cable connected to the WAN port, my LAN 1 Port connects to my Second node and my LAN 2 and LAN 3 Ports are reserved for ISP.

for me to use the dual wan, I have to select a LAN port for it to work, which i don't have any available.
it would work if i connect the two routers through wireless backhaul but the connection is very weak.

My second internet connection is a 5G Router, I tried to connect it through USB but it wouldn't work (used Ethernet to USB Adapter).

Is there a way I can solve this?

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Even if you solve the ports issue - Dual WAN on Asuswrt is not working properly. Load balancing is very basic and fail back/over with 2x Ethernet connections may or may not happen. I read about eventual improvements lately and tested with AX86U running latest Asuswrt 388_22068. The result was exactly the same as years ago - if you don't disconnect the cables physically fail back/over is either extremely slow or never happens. One of the forum members here has a script addressing Dual WAN issues in Asuswrt:

Best way is a router with proper Dual or Multi WAN function before your Asus - TP-Link ER605, Ubiquiti ER-X, MikroTik hEX, etc. all under $100.
thank you for your responses.

So I can do a dual wan on one of the routers you mentioned and then link the combined or load balanced network as a one to my asus router?

Yes, the routers above are entry level business class and do Dual WAN properly, then you run your Asus setup behind in double NAT and in DMZ so you don't need to do port forwarding (if needed) on both routers. It will work the way you use it now with all your devices on the Asus network as usual. The business router will provide WAN for you Asus with whatever ISP is active at the moment. The little guys switch almost transparently.

The easiest one to setup is ER605 and it's usually available for about $60. The UI is almost home router like. It can do 3x WAN. You can see it here:

@Smokey613 had Triple WAN on ER605 at one point and he can give you additional feedback. :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!