What's new

improve ac3200 wireless range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bit of info, I'm disabled and in a wheelchair, I'm the only person who is tech savy enough to even attempt playing around with the router etc. atm I'm in bed and unable to get up, that's why I asked if there was any settings I could change as I can do that from my bed, that's why I also asked if changing the antennas would help

If you have any android devices connected have a look in the play store for WiFi network analyser. Select the channels tab and it will show you all the wires to channels in use in your neighbourhood. If you can find an empty channel set yours up to use that otherwise try and find the least congested. It may give you some improvement.

If you can find an empty channel set yours up to use that otherwise try and find the least congested.
May I modify that suggestion? It has been suggested by folks who really understand this stuff that interference on the 2.4GHz band is worse from channels 1 or 2 above, or 1 or 2 below, than it is from the same channel. That is (using channel 6 as an example) another radio signal on 6 is actually a smaller problem than any on 4, 5, 7, or 8. Thus the often-seen recommendation to use only 1, 6, and 11. 1 2 3 | 4 5 6 7 8 | 9 10 11

The theory is that the frequency-hopping (spread-spectrum) characteristics of WiFi allow 2 radios on the same channel to avoid each other, while adjacent channels cannot participate in that cooperation.

May I modify that suggestion? It has been suggested by folks who really understand this stuff that interference on the 2.4GHz band is worse from channels 1 or 2 above, or 1 or 2 below, than it is from the same channel. That is (using channel 6 as an example) another radio signal on 6 is actually a smaller problem than any on 4, 5, 7, or 8. Thus the often-seen recommendation to use only 1, 6, and 11. 1 2 3 | 4 5 6 7 8 | 9 10 11

The theory is that the frequency-hopping (spread-spectrum) characteristics of WiFi allow 2 radios on the same channel to avoid each other, while adjacent channels cannot participate in that cooperation.
Good point dlandiss, if there are no clear channels available without overlap then go for the channel with the least number of signals on it but use the exact same channel. Thanks for pointing that out [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, the frequency hopping used by the WiFi signals will minimise the risk of interference. It won't eliminate it especially if there are lots of signals occupying the same channel, which will increase the risk of signals hoping to the same frequency at the same time causing interference.

ok I have just got wifi analyser and accounting to that I'm the only router using channel 1 the rest are using channel 6, so if I'm right I'm on the best channel for 2.4G

ok I have just got wifi analyser and accounting to that I'm the only router using channel 1 the rest are using channel 6, so if I'm right I'm on the best channel for 2.4G
Yes that's good. Might be worth wandering around other parts of the house if you can to see if the same applies there.

where we are we only have neighbours on 1 side of the house and across the road, the other side and the back is an ally way

bit of info, I'm disabled and in a wheelchair, I'm the only person who is tech savy enough to even attempt playing around with the router etc. atm I'm in bed and unable to get up, that's why I asked if there was any settings I could change as I can do that from my bed, that's why I also asked if changing the antennas would help
I'm in the same situation as you , I know what a pain it is to try to play with the router , ie moving it , changing antennas , I tried many antennas , none really made much of an improvement . My biggest improvements have come from FW and router client placement , small moves can give you big improvements .

Paul Ryan, it seems like you may have missed reading (all) my original post #6 for you?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/improve-ac3200-wireless-range.33757/#post-271620

With the new information you have provided, I would suggest you change the channel to 6 and reboot both the router and computer(s) and test again. No matter if the results are better or not, I would then immediately change the channel to 11 and reboot the network devices again and test again. Now, you can make a better informed choice of which channel is actually the best for your environment, router and clients.

The link above also suggests the best antennae that I remember from other's here that have made a big difference for them in the past. I hope they may provide the same improvement to your environment too.

why do I need to try 6 and 11 others are using them

Because they may still prove to be the best option for your combination of network, router (and firmware) and client device(s).

No free utility (like inssider, or similar) can know that, they just offer 'canned' suggestions. A bigger reason is that any free WiFi utility program only looks for WiFi signals it can recognize. It doesn't take into account any interference brought to bear from other sources. ;)

If you're really trying to improve your network WiFi, you must actually test all options and not rule them out for 'theoretical' reasons. :)

hi paul

in my place ch 6 is a problem even though it doesnt show on inssider and devices at the other end of the house dont play nice on ch 6 but are fine on ch 11

however in my testing the 3200 has quite poor wireless coverage when compared to other wireless AC devices

you however will always struggle to get really good signal from where your router is located to where you want the signal , and if running ethernet isnt an option look at powerline / eop for the answer , one of the power line adapters with wifi onboard placed downstairs somewhere will give you a far better signal

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!