What's new

improve ac3200 wireless range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Ryan

Regular Contributor
hi I've got the ac3200 and was wondering if there is anyway to improve the wireless range without using a wifi Extender as it slows down my internet speed, is there any settings to I can change to improve wireless range, my router and Virgin Media Superhub 2ac (modem mode) is in the back room upstairs but I struggle to get a signal downstairs in the front room

A Router in AP mode would be better to use, then yo get 3 or 4 in 1 product for future use (Router/AP/Bridge/Repeater) modes.

I don't want to do that as it's parents house and don't like devices all other the house, would improving the antennas help

If you have already tested each band for the best channel to use for best overall throughput and lowest latency for the required coverage area(s), then you need to consider better optimizing the location of the router and it's antennae, next.

The router should be at least 10' above (actual) ground level (not just 'floor' level).

The router should have at least 3' clearance all around from the walls and ceiling (of course, most homes will have to compromise here, particularly with the ceiling height clearance (the height above ground level is more important).

The antennae are usually best orientated straight up for best coverage on a single floor. Tip one or more of them slightly (very slightly) to be more perpendicular with targeted devices on a floor other than the one the router is installed in.

The router should not be in a closet, cabinet or other restrictive space (particularly metal structures, nearby studs and/or beams).

Test small movements (left, right, up, down) of the router within it's current location. You may be very surprised how a few inches or a few feet can impact the range.

If all of the above doesn't help to a satisfying degree, then the only real solution is to locate the router nearer to the center of the area(s) needing coverage.

Or, add an AP (wired) as pege63 suggests.

Trying new antennae can possibly help. But that is a trial and error method that involves blindly testing products shipped from (mostly) somewhere on the 'net.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00DMJI9TA/?tag=smallncom-20

Some people on this forum have had good results with the Super Power Supply products. Others, not so much. ;)

See what you can do (test different channels, move/locate the router better) with what you have. You can always try the antennae next (just don't think it will solve the issues completely that you face now).

thanks how would I test the height to the ground, router is placed on a shelve about 1/3 up the wall, plenty of room to the front and left of router (looking at front router), ther 3 metal model cars to the other side, the two sides with limited space lead to outside the house, every room but front gets ok to good signal

Ah oki well try to put your Superhub 2ac in Router mode and put the AC3200 in AP mode see if there is some difference, have you tried that? I tried that antennas on my AC68U but the range was the same as the original.

Last edited:
I've tried changing channels router can't be moved anymore, when you say 10" above ground do you mean sea level

10" above ground do you mean sea level
Ground level... if you go outside and stand on the ground - that's "ground level." If your location is situated such that "ground" is higher in one spot than another, assume "ground" level as the highest ground that contacts the building.

If you live in a desert, ground level is usually below sea level. If you live in mountains, ground level is usually higher than sea level.

The idea is that radio waves (at wifi frequencies) have a hard time passing through "ground", and ground will absorb the RF. By moving the source of RF higher, the signal is less impacted by "ground."

(At lower frequencies, ground can be used to reflect RF, but that simply won't work at microwave frequencies.)

hi I've got the ac3200 and was wondering if there is anyway to improve the wireless range without using a wifi Extender as it slows down my internet speed, is there any settings to I can change to improve wireless range, my router and Virgin Media Superhub 2ac (modem mode) is in the back room upstairs but I struggle to get a signal downstairs in the front room

First thing is finding a best spot for the location of router. If that is impossible or not enough for some reason, other means should be applied. We live in modest 2 story house with attached double garage. One router was sufficient to give usable coverage indoor and out around the house. I know where is best spot for the router. Smae with our cordless phone on land line.

Is one thing to write i tried the solution already, and to do it between the posts.
L & LD gave more advice on the issue in his post.
I saw no attempt to trying them at all and what the results were.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!