What's new

Incompatibility between wireless adapter and 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode (RT-AX88U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edpassos

Occasional Visitor
I'm running an Asus RT-AX88U and it's definitively a great router. However, I need to connect an old laptop with a discontinued wireless adapter (Inter Wireless N 7260) and seems like I have compatibility issues with 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode. When I turn this mode on, this laptop doesn't even find my network SSID. When I disable the mode, it connects to the WiFi.

Unfortunately I can't replace or upgrade this laptop because it's provided by a customer (yes, I know... it's sad) and I really don't want to have WiFi6 mode disabled (but all my other devices use WiFi6). I thought I could, for instance, set up a guest network without WiFi 6 (keeping the main network untouched). Isn't it possible (I didn't find any configuration)? Or do you have any other suggestion to accomplish that?

I'm running an Asus RT-AX88U and it's definitively a great router. However, I need to connect an old laptop with a discontinued wireless adapter (Inter Wireless N 7260) and seems like I have compatibility issues with 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode. When I turn this mode on, this laptop doesn't even find my network SSID. When I disable the mode, it connects to the WiFi.

Unfortunately I can't replace or upgrade this laptop because it's provided by a customer (yes, I know... it's sad) and I really don't want to have WiFi6 mode disabled (but all my other devices use WiFi6). I thought I could, for instance, set up a guest network without WiFi 6 (keeping the main network untouched). Isn't it possible (I didn't find any configuration)? Or do you have any other suggestion to accomplish that?

It looks like this issue: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037422
You probably need to update the Intel drivers.