What's new

YazFi Incorrect IP address allocation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marcus36

New Around Here
Hello , I have used the previous version of Yazfi with no problems , but since upgrading firmware and YazFi I have this problem.
The IP address table set in Yazfi for the wireless network i.e. 192.168.5.0 . when i client connects it is issued an ip
of 192.168.102.* . which is what it would get under the stock asus firmware . Using ASUS RT-AC86U , ASUSWRT-Merlin 386.2_4 , YazFi v4.2.0

Thanks for Any help

Marcus

Where are you validating the guest client ip address, on the client or the router?
If the router, where at?
The only accurate reading for guest client ip in the router is the wireless log tab.
You can also ssh into the router and look in Yazfi. It will report the correct guest wifi client ip.

Client , on an apple mac The address it is using is 192.168.102.188 and doesn't have internet access . my router connects via vpn
The stock firmware doesn't allow guests to connect through the VPN , thats why i started using YazFi , The current function
is like the stock firmware .

There are no AiMesh nodes on the network , I 'll try turning the firmware back and Yazfi versions back to
see if it rectify the problem .

The 386 firmware now uses that IP address range for the first guest network on each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. AFAIK Yazfi is incompatible with this change.

The only accurate reading for guest client ip in the router is the wireless log tab.
That is not necessarily true.

I need to look at the DHCP lease section and there the device shows the correct IP. The WiFi lease is a mixed bag.

Attachments

• DHCP.png
    DHCP.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 107
  • WiFi.png
    WiFi.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 112
The IP address table set in Yazfi for the wireless network i.e. 192.168.5.0 . when i client connects it is issued an ip
of 192.168.102.* . which is what it would get under the stock asus firmware . Using ASUS RT-AC86U , ASUSWRT-Merlin 386.2_4 , YazFi v4.2.0
First, stupid question time. Is the client connecting to the Guest Wifi or the main LAN WiFi? Couldn't hurt to double check to ensure that the WiFi client is connecting to the correct Guest WiFi.

How is your Guest WiFi set up? Are you using Guest #1 or additional Guest's networks. Which one is the problematic wifi client connecting too?

Are there any additional devices on the same Guest WiFi network and do they exhibit the same problem?

What does the SSH YazFi CLI interface show for connected devices? Is it showing the correct devices connected?

Does running cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases via SSH on the router show the correct IP address assignments for Guest WiFi devices?

Are any other addon scripts being run on the router?

As a troubleshooting step have you tried forgetting the WiFi connection entirely on the problematic WiFi client. Then creating a new connection to the Guest YazFi WiFi.

Another troubleshooting step, if you haven't tried it already, is to uninstall YazFi, reboot the router, then reinstall YazFi and see if the issue persists with the one Guest WiFi client.

And as others have pointed out or alluded to. Don't use the Network Map page to view YazFi Guest client IP addresses. Use either the System Log > WiFi Log page, or use the YazFi CLI (option #2) via SSH, or use cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases via SSH to the router.

Last edited:
it shouldn't be incompatible as YazFi enables intranet access as far as Asus is concerned to disable their vlan/separate bridge and then applies its own rules
Thanks for the correction Jack. So does that mean that the OP should be getting a 192.168.102.* address or his custom 192.168.5.* address? Will his client still be able to route through his VPN?

Thanks for the correction Jack. So does that mean that the OP should be getting a 192.168.102.* address or his custom 192.168.5.* address? Will his client still be able to route through his VPN?
Should be 192.168.5.x. Since its not it'd be useful for the op to send me the diagnostics from yazfi but I don't know when I'll have time to investigate fully

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!