What's new

Increase WiFi Speed for 4k streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
My TV ethernet is limited to 100MHz which is too slow for uncompressed 4K movies!
I have tried using WiFi instead, but this is being limited to 25Mb on the 5Ghz with only my TV being connected, therefore making ANY 4K movie continually stutter.
While I am still waiting the for advertised WiFi 6 extenders to become available, I am currently using the RX-AX58U wired directly to my Vodafone fibre router configured as a WiFi repeater only, which is placed next to my TV so the signal strength is good - 3 out of 5 bars!
The Vodafone router is pretty poor alround which is why I have replaced it with the Asus.
All my WiFi devices are is setup as a fixed IP addresses and no other device is in use while the TV is being tested.
I would have expected the speed to be greater than 25Mb.
Can someone please advise if there are preferred settings for getting the maximum speed on one device.
Regards

Skip the extenders. They will cut the WIFI bandwidth by half.
Move the AX58U away from the TV. Too close and the WIFI bandwidth will drop.
Make sure you use the AX58U in Access Point mode. Match the 5 GHz bandwidth to what the TV can do. Start with 80 MHZ in a non DFS channel. Unless your TV is AX (WIFI6) capable do not use it in the AX58U.
May be best to let your clients get IP address via DHCP.

For comparison, we're on a 200 Mbps down and 20 up service and can watch 4K streams on YouTube, Netflix, etc. via an AC86U.

For comparison, we're on a 200 Mbps down and 20 up service and can watch 4K streams on YouTube, Netflix, etc. via an AC86U.
If 100mb ethernet isn't enough for @AnnieBody , I expect they may be trying to stream ripped 4k blu-rays from their local network. As @Tech9 aluded, "uncompressed" 4k doesn't really exist in the consumer world, but ripped 4k blu-ray could stress 100mb ethernet during peaks. I have no trouble maxing out my 480Mb internet service via WiFi, they should be able to solve the issue in AP mode, IF the TV can handle the bandwidth.

Thanks for your feedback.
Tech 9 I'm sorry, but you are way off the mark!
4K is reporting 102.3 Mb when it stutters (the max. of the TV ethernet). Most of the time the average is 40Mb. 10Gb is NOT required! I suspect that 200Mb would be a more reasonable figure to deal with the occasional max. rate.
The TV is a Panasonic TX-55GZ950. Its ethernet is limited to 100Mb, hence the issue.

Bbunge
I can't skip the extender as I need it for my phones and tablet around the house.
The RX-AX58U is directly connected in my study to the fibre interface. If I could easily move it, I would.
I purchased the RX-AX58U for a full house WiFi 6, for which I am still waiting for the Asus extenders to become available (apparently delayed due to covid, whatever that is!).
The previous TP-Link extenders won't work if you have more than one repeater as they interfere with each other, which is why I am using the Vodafone router as a wired repeater.
My devices all work, but I have never checked the WiFi speed until now.
What I think I need is a 200Mb WiFi signal for the TV.
If I plug the movie on the TVs USB it plays back without stuttering, so I know the TV is capable of playing the media correctly.
I only ever use fixed IP for all my devices. I don't think that DHCP allocation would make much diffrence to the speed.
That way I can debug and check problems easily and also check for any un-authorised third party use.

Markpancake
Try playing a true 4K on your TV and then compare it to streaming media.
I've nothing at all against any streaming its just that I want the best picture available. I have tried reducing the image quality to check the ethernet speed, it works but looks poor by comparison.
That is why the shops ONLY play true 4K clips when in demo mode. You can download them to try.
I am using Serviio to play my media on my own intranet.

What can I expect the maximum WiFi speed to be on a single channel use?

Tech 9 I'm sorry, but you are way off the mark!

I don't like when someone asks for help and rejects all the answers because he knows better. What's the point asking for help? Uncompressed 4K stream is 6Gbps. You asked for uncompressed 4K videos. You can't stream uncompressed 4K to any of your devices, sorry.

for uncompressed 4K movies!

Tech 9 asking for help assumes that the person offering help knows what they are talking about. Opinions which are completely incorrect are not helpful, they just waste everyone's time. If you read on, you will see that your 'help' is not only wrong but completely off the mark!
In the meantime, I have found a solution:
I have made some changes to the router settings following some other websites advice:
5GHz
Wireless | General
Wireless Mode was legacy now auto
Channel Bandwidth was 20MHz now 160Mhz

Wireless | Professional
Beamforming was enabled
Multi User MIMO was enabled

2.4GHz
Wireless | General
Channel Bandwidth was 20MHz now 40Mhz

Wireless | Professional
Beamforming was enabled
Multi User MIMO was disabled now enabled

I then removed the Vodafone router and replaced with one of my TP-Link RE-450 repeaters.
I now get 450Mb on the 5Gb band instead of 45Mb from Vodafone (told you it was poor!) and I now get 5 bars.
The movie now plays as expected, with Bandwidth Monitor advising the max. bitrate was 145Mb, so it appears that 4K video actually requires nowhere near 6Gb!
I suggest a speed of 200Mb would be more than sufficient for streaming full 4K with Atmos.
Thanks to everyone involved.

Tech 9 asking for help assumes that the person offering help knows what they are talking about. Opinions which are completely incorrect are not helpful, they just waste everyone's time. If you read on, you will see that your 'help' is not only wrong but completely off the mark!
In the meantime, I have found a solution:
I have made some changes to the router settings following some other websites advice:
5GHz
Wireless | General
Channel Bandwidth was 20MHz now 160Mhz

Wireless | Professional
Beamforming was enabled
Multi User MIMO was enabled

2.4GHz
Wireless | General
Channel Bandwidth was 20MHz now 40Mhz

Wireless | Professional
Beamforming was enabled
Multi User MIMO was disabled now enabled

I then removed the Vodafone router and replaced with one of my TP-Link RE-450 repeaters.
I now get 450Mb on the 5Gb band instead of 45Mb from Vodafone (told you it was poor!) and I now get 5 bars.
The movie now plays as expected, with Bandwidth Monitor advising the max. bitrate was 145Mb, so it appears that 4K video actually requires nowhere near 6Gb!
I suggest a speed of 200Mb would be more than sufficient for streaming full 4K with Atmos.
Thanks to everyone involved.
That is not uncompressed 4K video, it is a compressed 4K stream at bitrates comparable to UHD Bluray that uses 92-144 Mbps.

Last edited:
If you read on, you will see

Please, continue reading some other websites. You may find in time your 4K streams are not uncompressed, your TV has no benefit of 5GHz 160MHz wide channel, 2.4GHz 40MHz wide channel is generally bad practice and MU-MIMO/Beamforming does nothing even close to what is advertised. :rolleyes:

The following wireless settings yield the best performance for me across multiple devices with our AC86U, so thought it might be useful to share:

• 2.4 GHz: N only | 20 MHz Bandwidth | Channel 1, 6, or 11
  • 5 GHz: N/AC mixed | 80 MHz | Channel 36 or 40
  • Professional settings enabled on both bands: AMPDU RTS | Enable WMM | Modulation Scheme set to MCS 7 (802.11n) on 2.4 GHz and MCS 9 (802.11ac) on 5 GHz

With these settings, devices consistently achieve the max speeds of our 200 Mbps down / 20 up service on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!