What's new

INFO 509 pro rebuild

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tight_wad

Occasional Visitor
I just thought I would post this info in case someone wants to know.

I just finished doing a fresh rebuild of my 509 pro, opting to stay with Raid 5. This is what I am using:

Firmware 2.1.6

qfinder 3.3.8 0304

New 5 x WD WD20EADS 2TB hard drives

The building of the Raid 5 lasted 32 minutes.
The Sync of the drives lasted for just under 12 hours.

This is just about half the time it took me to do the sync with the 5 x 1TB Seagate ST31000340AS hard drives when I got the Nas.

One conclusion that I have made while backing up all my data is that the WD hard drives, or atleast the ones I am comparing, are fast write speed then Seagates.

I have both Seagate and WD hard drives in 1 TB. The WD hard drives were able to write my data at a rate of 83 to 102 MB/s. And the Seagate hard drives write at a rate of 56 to 88 MB/s.

All writes to the drives were done with at Vista computer, and using the regular copy/paste of Windows. I was going to use Teracopy to do my copying, but I could never get better then 33 MB/s with this software. Hardware for hard drive connection is an Esata Dock from Thermaltake.

Well that is it. Tonight I start loading about 6 TB of data on to the my new build.

Nice! Keep us posted on how well those 2T WD drives hold up in NAS use. I have two TS-509P's with five 1T WD RE3 drives in each and I am thinking of going to the 2T drives also. I am a bit concerned however with long-term reliability of using non-enterprise level drives in 24/7 NAS. I think they would work great in my "back-up" NAS which runs rsyncs for about 3 hours a day but not so sure about my main NAS which runs continuously serving my media libraries. Thanks for the info.

I am about to try this pretty soon ... on my second warranty replacement, should be showing up in a few days. More of the infamous "drive x unplugged" errors.

Hopefully I will be able to restore the configuration, then swap the drives from the old unit to the new unit and not loose anything. I'll rsync everything to my FreeNAS backup server just in case.

New unit came, swapped drives, detected and rebuilt with no problems.

It has been up and stable for two weeks now, so it it time to upgrade to the new firmware to take advantage of those awesome read speeds I am seeing posted.