What's new

info needed please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cino72

New Around Here
i have 2 routers running tomato.
first router handles dhcp ect ect basically everything
second router i use to extend wireless no dhcp or anything

My question is how can i see what mac address is connected to LAN3 port on router #2 ? its a wired connection but the router shows nothing in the device list since its just passing the data to router 1.

My problem is I have 5 total routers in the network all passing data to the primary router and i never created a topology or labeled anything now i have no idea what is actually connected to what unless i disconnect a port and then try to find the device that's not working. I am going to remove some of the extenders from the network but it would be nice to know what is connected to where so i can get a plan together before i start removing devices.

I know i know I should have labeled my cables it just kept growing over time and i never did.

Tia

i have 2 routers running tomato.
first router handles dhcp ect ect basically everything
second router i use to extend wireless no dhcp or anything

My question is how can i see what mac address is connected to LAN3 port on router #2 ? its a wired connection but the router shows nothing in the device list since its just passing the data to router 1.

My problem is I have 5 total routers in the network all passing data to the primary router and i never created a topology or labeled anything now i have no idea what is actually connected to what unless i disconnect a port and then try to find the device that's not working. I am going to remove some of the extenders from the network but it would be nice to know what is connected to where so i can get a plan together before i start removing devices.

I know i know I should have labeled my cables it just kept growing over time and i never did.

Tia

Unfortunately there's not much you can do if you're using older equipment and have cascaded the router LAN-to-LAN.

Since 2011, most Linksys routers have what's called "Bridge Mode".....which is a type of wired AP mode. If you had a newer linksys router, you'd be able see all of the devices connected to the AP.

ASUS routers have an AP mode. It's basically the same thing as Linksys' bridge mode. This would also allow you to see those MAC addresses.....so you'd know what's what.

I'm not really familiar with netgear, dlink and apple et al routers so I don't know if they have that 'smart bridge' capability when used as an AP.

Edit: I'm talking about Linksys routers using stock firmware and ASUS routers using either stock or Merlin firmware.

Last edited:
What you might try doing is logging into the Tomato routers via ssh and running

arp -a

That will show you the arp table for the address and MAC pairings that it knows. With that, you can start to build a network map. It won't identify particular ports, but it may provide some useful information to get you started.

Using mac address tables is a common trick to finding where undocumented gear may be lurking.

this may help someone

If a device is active and you ping it from the second router it will show in its device list for a few minutes, but I don't thing any tomato mod shows which physical port devices are on - just the interface name

On Shibby firmwares on RT-N66u at least the robocfg tool can show some information, Shibby uses this tool to get the port speed display

Code:

root@rtn66u:/tmp/home/root# robocfg show
Switch: enabled gigabit
Port 0: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: 00:01:5c:xxx
Port 1: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 3c:a9:f4:xxx
Port 2: DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: b8:ca:3a:xxx
Port 3: DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 00:22:15:xxx
Port 4: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 00:13:20:xxx
Port 8: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 08:60:6e:xxx
VLANs: BCM53115 enabled mac_check mac_hash
1: vlan1: 1 2 3 4 8t
2: vlan2: 0 8t

For more history see for example

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.ph...ction-speed-in-device-list.37842/#post-183351