What's new

Instability caused by Amcrest NVR

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dbman190

New Around Here
Hello,

I am having serious problems with my new RT-AC86U currently running Merlin 384.8 beta 2.

If my Amcrest NVR1104 is connected directly, the connection drops and reconnects every 10 seconds. If I put a switch in between, it is more stable. However, the wireless connection goes down regularly.

I looked in the log and I see some very strange, see attached partial log file.

My Wifi went down at the same time these strange log messages occurred, and when I unplugged the NVR's network cable from the router, it came back up.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it? I'm happy to provide any additional information, but not sure what will be helpful.

I previously ran an RT-N56U with no problems using this same NVR.

Edit: My 2.4 GHz wireless is not working. It says it's "Channel 0" in the AsusWRT GUI

Edit 2: after these strange problems happen, if I reboot the router, it enters a boot loop where the power lifgt comes on, the Ethernet ports and wan light briefly come on, and then it reboors itself over and over. If I wait several hours and try turning it on again, it's fine, but if I only leave it off for a few mins, it keeps boot looping.

Is this just a defective router?

Attachments

• log.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Hello,

I am having serious problems with my new RT-AC86U currently running Merlin 384.8 beta 2.

If my Amcrest NVR1104 is connected directly, the connection drops and reconnects every 10 seconds. If I put a switch in between, it is more stable. However, the wireless connection goes down regularly.

My Wifi went down at the same time these strange log messages occurred, and when I unplugged the NVR's network cable from the router, it came back up.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it? I'm happy to provide any additional information, but not sure what will be helpful.

I previously ran an RT-N56U with no problems using this same NVR.

Edit: My 2.4 GHz wireless is not working. It says it's "Channel 0" in the AsusWRT GUI

Edit 2: after these strange problems happen, if I reboot the router, it enters a boot loop where the power lifgt comes on, the Ethernet ports and wan light briefly come on, and then it reboors itself over and over. If I wait several hours and try turning it on again, it's fine, but if I only leave it off for a few mins, it keeps boot looping.

Is this just a defective router?
For the video streaming problem, per chance, do you have your WiFi set for Hide SSID? I found with beta 2 on my 86U that if I had that setting selected for the 5GHz band that my WiFi bridge would not keep my security cameras streaming to my NAS. But when I did unhide and let it stabilize that the video stream became consistent. I do not remember if I also did a router boot after the unhide. Then once I determined that all was OK, then I reselected Hide and the video continued its good streaming.

No, I don't hide SSID. I was able to boot the router this morning and all is okay, though it's been only a few minutes. I am going to leave it and not change any settings and see how long it is stable.

I'm pretty sure it's just a dead 2.4 GHz radio, and maybe this is affecting the other functions as well. I will return it and get a new one since I just bought it. Not worth any more hassle.

I think I was conflating two different issues.

The wired NVR was disconnecting for some reason. I fixed with a switch. Around the same time, my 2.4 GHz was going out, and I assumed they were related. Turns out they were probably separate issues since even with no NVR connected, the 2.4 GHz was dead.

I'll have a replacement AC86U soon and can see if these problems still exist, but I hope not.

Yes, I did it from scratch, so that was not the problem.

The 2.4 GHz radio would work if I let the router cool down for several hours, but would fail soon after powering it up again, and if I didn't let it rest unplugged, it would not work when plugged in again.

reset the IP config on the Amcrest NVR/Camera server - that's likely the problem...

Many of boxes similar to this have older linux kernels, and upsetting them can lead to things like this.