What's new

Entware Install Entware to Existing Ext4 Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rageone

New Around Here
Every tutorial I see about installing entware describes a process where you are required to format a drive to ext4. If I already have an attached ext4 drive that I am using for file storage, do I still need to format this drive to install entware? Is the formatting process also partitioning as well? If so what are the required partitions? I am trying to get around formatting this drive as it already has all my files on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't advise installing entware on a drive used for file storage. I believe in keeping it on a seperate drive to avoid possible corruption.

I appreciate your apprehension and advice, however I have two drives connected to the router. One is for primary backup and the other is a backup of the backup. Installing emtware on the second drive is an acceptable level of risk for me. I am just curious about if it is possible.

It's possible.
imho running backups onto drives attached to the router is just poor practice unless you have no other way of doing it, in which case I'd advise you to backup the backups to a remote fileserver.

Over ssh invoke 'amtm' (select your theme - I use 9) and from inside amtm invoke 'ep'.
Why do you need entware?
I'm sure there will be a tutorial around the add-ons forum, but I've never read it.
Edit:
..... or on Merlin's wiki
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki

Last edited:
So there is no special partitioning done by the installation? The main reason I want it is to try out syncthing.

The drive is already formatted to ext4 so it should be good to go as is. If you have problems later it would just be a case of deleting the entware folder and formatting the jffs.

jffs is the internal storage, it's not on the external drive. It holds some system configuration files that startup Entware when the drive is mounted. It's very unlikely that you would need to reformat that. Not unless the whole of your router was completely messed up.

FYI I also have Entware installed in a directory (not a separate partition) on my USB drive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!