What's new

[Instant Guard] So, what's up with this feature?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,
I like the thought of Instant Guard, as I doubt I could setup a manually configured router-based VPN to save my life. Yet, from the day I joined this forum oh those many years ago, the one constant admonishment has been never, ever turn on Remote Connection! So I ask the pros, what are we dealing with here with this new Instant Guard?

Thanks,
Anton

For those that don't know what we're doing (like myself)?

Rubbish.

It's on my 'don't even test' list. :)

Hi,
I like the thought of Instant Guard, as I doubt I could setup a manually configured router-based VPN to save my life. Yet, from the day I joined this forum oh those many years ago, the one constant admonishment has been never, ever turn on Remote Connection! So I ask the pros, what are we dealing with here with this new Instant Guard?

Thanks,
Anton

Here is what I gather from reading about it:
  • Apart of Asus New IPSec expansion
  • Requires Android/IOS Instant Guard APP for setup (supposedly a one click setup type of thing.)
  • Requires REMOTE ACCESS on https port 8443 to be turned on (APP will turn it on if it is off.)
  • Leaks IPV6 address's of Clients instead of blocking/preventing IPV6 Traffic
Some may ask how does this stack compared to the built in IPSec:
  • Requires Users to Manually setup on both Asuswrt Gui and Android/IOS settings.
  • Users have more control over settings like address's, user names, and passwords.
  • No IPV6 address leaks from Clients. (IPV6 traffic is not allowed).

Hi,

Thanks,
Anton

Heres a thread on it https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-instant-guard-ios-android-public-beta.66814/#post-624068

I read the whole thread. and Here are my take away. Instant Guard is a new method that Asus uses to setup a IpSec VPN server. Its new so it sounds like it is a little buggy based on comments. Some said it leaked IPv6 address traffic, it appears to turn on WAN Remote Accesss (there were posts that this was not needed after a release but some reported that this was still needed). Looks like it can be used for Android and IOS but not Windows (at least I didn't read anything posted about that).

Based on my reading of the thread, the Merlin implementation of OpenVPN appears to be more advanced than the Instant Guard IPSec implementation and is probably the way to go if your capable enough to set it up

BTW, I just setup a VPN Server on Merlin. Its really not that hard. First you need to setup a DDNS (On wan page) if you don't have a static IP. You will use this as your connection address. Then select OpenVPN and decide whether you want Lan or Internet or Both (I chose Lan). Keep the Defaults in Advanced. Export your config file to android (or Windows etc). In Android, Install OpenVPN app, use the config file to connect. Setting up the DDNS is tougher than setting up the VPN server

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!