1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Intel 9560NGW wlan card - what else do I need?

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by iSeeker, Jul 15, 2019.

1. iSeeker

iSeeker New Around Here

What else do I need to get my wlan card up and running?

So, I bought an HP Elitedesk 800 G4 used off ebay for the purpose of running a Blue Iris machine for my IP Cameras. Looked up the specs and it accets the 9560 wlan card. Great! I buy it used on ebay. When I crack the desktop to install, I found out I don't have any antenna cord or antenna. Do I also need a pci-e x 1 card to stick the antenna in to?

I believe I need a MHF4 to RP-SMA cable plus antennas. I've found this on ebay, which looks like a 2.4ghz antenna. This card supports some great speeds (and my synology rt2600ac router supports 160mhz channels I've confirmed) but what they hell do I need, besides the wlan card to get this working.

Any help appreciated. I'm lost.

2. iSeeker

iSeeker New Around Here

Well, just found out that I can't add a wifi card to this machine. Support (after confirming my serial number) said something like "if it wasn't stamped on to the mother board, it won't work". So, I can't use the intel 9560 wlan card I bought. I guess that is why this doesn't have any type of antenna built in that some may have. FYI. Wanted for configuring/troubleshooting in more comfortable area. Will be hardwired, obviously, for blue Iris machine but disappointing that I can't add a good wifi card even though it has a slot on the motherboard. Probably could add a usb wifi dongle, but...not the same quality. I've never heard of this before...just wasn't even on my radar.

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Many computers, apparently including yours, use a whitelist/blacklist to control the internal cards that can be used. This is a common problem encountered when trying to change internal Wi-Fi cards.

You should be able to add any USB Wi-Fi adapter without a problem.

4. iSeeker

iSeeker New Around Here

To be clear, HP support was saying NO wlan card (not just a list) either placed on the MB or pci slot. I’d never heard of that when the mb has the slots.

5. iSeeker

iSeeker New Around Here

Called another tech and he explained further that the “feature byte” may not have been enabled on the motherboard for WiFi. Is that something I can fix myself?