What's new

Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz card vs USB Wi-fi adapters (worth the upgrade?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sjn60

New Around Here

My laptop is an LG Gram with an Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz card. I'll need to connect it to a NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000 while I'm in Spain, which is connected to a modem/router through fiber optics.
Here is where it is located:
The first floor contains the modem router. The extender is situated on the second story, close to where the router is situated below. The second level is where I'll be working and streaming from, on the opposite corner of the building, roughly 30 feet from the Mesh Range Extender EX8000, with one door occasionally closed between us.
I was able to get (at times) the bare minimum to stream Netflix and even get ZoomWi-Fi conferencing in the past (with a Dell XPS that had an inbuilt AC Wi-Fi card, but only if I moved adjacent to the extender).
Will a good USB wireless adaptor help me improve my signal, I wonder? Or the improvement will be negligible in comparison to any that my laptop's wi-fi card might provide. The fact that some of those USB adapters have strong antennae, I suppose, may be helpful. Or would it be preferable to continue using the internal card and modify the settings as needed? Modifying the router's settings may be challenging because it is located in the home of my in-laws below, who are not computer literate and feel very weary about meddling with their equipment, but I may try if necessary (e.g. change channels and stuff)
Any recommendations?

Will a good USB wireless adaptor help me improve my signal, I wonder?

Highly unlikely. Very few USB adapters have better antennas than built in good quality laptops ones. If you want to experiment - make sure you buy the USB adapters from a place with good return policy. There is a high chance for money spend for nothing situation. I would say >90%.

My laptop is an LG Gram with an Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz card.

Stick with what you have...

USB adapters for WiFi6/6e - current state of the art isn't very good compared to the AX211

I'll need to connect it to a NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000 while I'm in Spain, which is connected to a modem/router through fiber optics.

Sounds like maybe the extender (or the host router) needs some configuration help...

You didn't mention what the modem/router was - perhaps it's compat with the extender being the issue...

If you have a 12th/13th gen Intel you could up your speed using an AX411 which can boost your speeds by combining both 2.4/5ghz bands into a single pipe. Using 160mhz on 5ghz + 2.4ghz gives me 1.5gbps in either direction and the adapters are cheap at under $20/ea.

If you need stronger RF signal though to boost your speeds get an actual AP instead of the other junk. All of the other devices sold for "extending" things don't work well and are waste of time / money 90% of the time. Its all marketing and you get what you pay for even though the prices tend to be higher than a simple AP with AX capabilities. $150 or less should be your goal for an AP though.... the higher priced ones will do more than you'll be able to figure out or just simply fleece your wallet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!