What's new

Intel WiFi Link 5300 slower than free USB adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seven_PRX

New Around Here
Ok, I bought this really cheap n router from Philips, which came with a USB philips stick:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...ER/Wireless-Networking-Starterkit+CKW7740N-05

It was only 39 EUR, so I wasn't expecting too much from it, but for that price I thought it was a bargain.

Connected the stuff, and everything works fine with. My Wifi > LAN is a respectable 9MB/s (~72 Mbps). My Wifi > WAN tops around 55 Mbps. My LAN > WAN 60 Mbps (=my max inet bandwith).

Anyway, as I wanted to get the 60 Mbps on my WiFi too, I bought an Intel WiFi link 5300 for my laptop. This cost me 28EUR (38 EUR inc postage). So basicly the same price as my Router + USB stick.

Downloaded the latest drivers, and started using it. But, the performance is crap. Such crap, it tops out at about 33 Mbps WiFi > WAN.

I tried using bonding or not. Tried different channels. Tried putting it to N-only, etc. It doesn't seem to matter. It does connect with a link speed of 270-300 Mbps (w/channel bonding); but it simply disappoints a lot.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thnx,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!