What's new

Intermittent dropped video (Teams) calls - AX6600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apd1212

New Around Here
Hi
Am running a 2 AX6600 AirMesh config. Upgrade firmware to the latest release last week and started to experience significant drops in connectivity. I backed off the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386_42095-gcd938f7 and did a factory reset on both devices. The disconnects have improved but am still seeing drops during video conferencing. I am running a constant ping between my laptop and the AX6600 and do not see dropped pings during the same timeframe I experience a video drop. I am also running a ping to a MicroSoft IP and again don't see drops during the video drops. Both my wife and I are experiencing the same issue even though I have connected her to the Mesh device via ethernet. I am not seeing any errors in syslog but I did notice that every hour these messages appear:

Apr 8 11:20:06 kernel: kck:
Apr 8 11:20:06 kernel: 0000: 79 6a 4d 7d 3f be ac 7c f0 88 b4 0a 51 ea d3 35
Apr 8 11:20:06 kernel: kek:
Apr 8 11:20:06 kernel: 0000: a1 da 57 b7 ff 61 ee b2 a7 78 68 df 79 4d 0b 11
Apr 8 11:20:06 kernel: replay_ctr:
Apr 8 11:20:06 kernel: 0000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 17

The only change in the message is in the final message where it increases by 1.

Are these messages normal or could they be indicating what issue is? If they don't help define the issue any suggestions on next steps?

What do you mean by "drops"? Please be more specific. Are we talking about a few dropped frames from time to time, perhaps causing a brief reduction in video quality, or all-out "I lost my connection for 30 seconds or 2 minutes" kinds of drops?

And when your wife is wired to the mesh device, is that the primary or secondary router? Because if it's the secondary, then she's still connected over wireless. And wireless is *notorious* for having issues w/ anything that requires realtime response (video conferencing, VOIP, etc.).

Assuming this is a wireless issue for the moment, comparing it to ping is a bit misleading. That's nothing more than one packet out, one packet back in. And what you're willing to tolerate in terms of response time wrt ping doesn't mean you'll find the same response time for teleconferencing to be acceptable. Most of us experience wireless interruptions all the time. But we don't notice it because most applications don't require realtime response. As such, it doesn't diminish the experience unless it becomes particularly extreme.

Now if the issue occurs w/ purely wired connections, that's another matter. But even then, realtime requirements can still make that unreliable under certain conditions, such as when you or an upstream router are NOT prioritizing that particular content. Sometimes even the choice of service provider (e.g., Skype vs. Zoom) can make a big difference (a detail you didn't mention).

Does it happen every hour? (60 minutes apart)

(I have that with Slack on my AC86u)

What do you mean by "drops"? Please be more specific. Are we talking about a few dropped frames from time to time, perhaps causing a brief reduction in video quality, or all-out "I lost my connection for 30 seconds or 2 minutes" kinds of drops?

And when your wife is wired to the mesh device, is that the primary or secondary router? Because if it's the secondary, then she's still connected over wireless. And wireless is *notorious* for having issues w/ anything that requires realtime response (video conferencing, VOIP, etc.).

Assuming this is a wireless issue for the moment, comparing it to ping is a bit misleading. That's nothing more than one packet out, one packet back in. And what you're willing to tolerate in terms of response time wrt ping doesn't mean you'll find the same response time for teleconferencing to be acceptable. Most of us experience wireless interruptions all the time. But we don't notice it because most applications don't require realtime response. As such, it doesn't diminish the experience unless it becomes particularly extreme.

Now if the issue occurs w/ purely wired connections, that's another matter. But even then, realtime requirements can still make that unreliable under certain conditions, such as when you or an upstream router are NOT prioritizing that particular content. Sometimes even the choice of service provider (e.g., Skype vs. Zoom) can make a big difference (a detail you didn't mention).
We're using MicroSoft Teams and the drop is either audio send & receive stops working for 15-30 seconds and at times both audio and video drops for that same 15-30 seconds. She is wired to the secondary so yes it's still wireless between primary and secondary but it should eliminate wireless from her device to the router. Agree on the ping, but not seeing any drop or increase in response time during those 15-30 seconds is surprising to me.
Thanks

Exactly 60 minutes apart to the second

Might be the WPA/WPA2 session key being regenerated and propagated over WDS (the default is every 3600 seconds). Might be worth setting "Group Key Rotation Interval" to 0 to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Might be the WPA/WPA2 session key being regenerated and propagated over WDS (the default is every 3600 seconds). Might be worth setting "Group Key Rotation Interval" to 0 to see if it helps.
That was indeed the suggestion in another topic about a similar (or this?) issue.

However, setting it to a large value (12 hours instead of 1) did not help in my case.

Hope it does help for the OP!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!