What's new

Intermittent loss of internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnkrer

Occasional Visitor
I set up Asus AC68U (originally TM-1900AC router) over the weekend. Most everything has worked great. However on one of the PCs (Win 7 with intel centrino N 1030 wireless) , internet drops out for a minute every 5 minutes. I tried to update the driver, but windows said that it is at the latest driver. (from 2012). The connection to the router does not seem to drop, it just shows yellow triangle and says no internet connection. It goes away by itself in a minute.

Is this a known issue? How can it be fixed?

Thanks

Try changing the settings on the adaptor in Windows. It may be called something like low power setting or similar. Try turning this off.

If you reused the same SSID, you may need to delete the settings from Win 7 machine and then add it back in again. Another option is to use a new SSID and see if the issue remains.

Thanks Zirescu. I am using a new SSID.
Thanks L&LD, I will look for the power option.
eta: Found this in Power Management of the wireless adapter - Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power. unchecked it and will see how it goes.

ETA2: Did not help. Also checked another computer that does not face this problem and on that computer, the power management option is checked.

However, for my last router, linksys e1550 with tomato, did not need this change.

Last edited:
Another thing I just tried and might be working .. is
Changed the location of the network from public to home. (When a new network is encountered, I think windows just sets it up as public).
After that change I have not had a disconnect in 5+ minutes so far. Will keep watching

ETA: Nope, that does not help either .. will download and install latest driver from intel as next step

Having the same exact problem with an AC66R on 2 different devices (and Ipad 4 and a Asus ul80vt running an intel 5100 wifi card). The 5100 on the 2.4 ghz signal loses the internet and won't reestablish so I had to switch it to the 5ghz. I have also noticed a problem with my Emerson Sensi wifi Thermostat on the 2.4ghz... Wondering if there is an issue with the latest merlinwrt and the 2.4ghz radio in the AC66R.

3600, which was default.
Eric Lieb, I have two sensi's and if they are having connection issues, I have not noticed them. May be they are losing connection and getting it back.

3600, which was default.
Eric Lieb, I have two sensi's and if they are having connection issues, I have not noticed them. May be they are losing connection and getting it back.

Right now I am in the network list and it shows the white Rodgers Division (Emerson Sensi) having a 1 Mbps TX and 1 Mbps RX rate. This thermostat is inline with a directional ALFA antenna and in a direct line between the router and an xbox one (inbetween them). The Xbox One has a 6/81 connection right now (it is turned off so this is just the "always on" connection speed checking for updates). The question is why is the Sensi showing the minimum connection speeds when I just logged into it.

I just checked and the xbox is using the 5ghz, not 2.4.

Also the Xbox usually shows a 150/150 (or higher) but the detailed network stats inside the xbox show the connection speed (to the internet) i usually 35/4... I have 60/4 internet as verified by a wired connection so not sure why the xbox is only doing half the max internet speed while still showing a connection to the router of 150/150...

Edit/Update: I just switched it back from Channel 1 to Auto (it always goes to Channel 6 eventho the 2 next networks in the Site Survey are all Channel 6) ... The Sensi just went to 65/1 so it must have been a channel 1 issue.

Last edited:
installed latest driver from intel and that was the same version as the driver on my machine. So that did not help

At the moment, I have disabled 802.11n Mode on the adapter and so far the connection is staying .. let's see ..