What's new

Intermittent Powerline Dropout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which Devolo's ? The Devolo dLAN 1200+ is not Broadcom, it is also the QCA 7500. In my experience, these suffer from the same random dropouts as e.g. the TPlink TL-PA8010 or PA8030.

Tp-Links TL-PA9020 uses the BCM60500. The promised 2 Gbps is clearly non sense. I have link speeds close to 800-900 Mpbs. The actual ethernet speed is much lower. However, in my home they were robust against all the bad things coming from supplies, chargers and more. Never saw a dropout in 3-4 weeks.

There are theories where the dropouts come from, like sleep modes and sending an occasional ping might keep the connection alive.

Mine are dLAN 500 DUO's but read here https://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s667151 that all dLAN Duo's use the Broadcom chipset. As per earlier posts in this thread, sleep mode (switched off on both adapters), interference etc. have all been ruled out. Given the many reviews of the TL-PA9020 that also refer to random dropouts the chipset theory would seem to be disproved also. Ping -t to the router solved it for me - otherwise happy with adapters.

Last edited:
Spoke too soon - drop outs even whilst pinging the router now, occurring after several trouble free months. Ideas anyone?

Spoke too soon - drop outs even whilst pinging the router now, occurring after several trouble free months. Ideas anyone?

It's a strange one that the ping solution would work for 7 months and then no longer work. Perhaps in the winter months you have more appliances turned on, and more frequently- central heating, lights etc. Perhaps the additional noise in your home means that even the ping solution is not enough to prevent drop-outs.

I still don't know definitely what causes the dropouts and why a constant ping prevents them (in many cases)

@snagro That day appears to have been an isolated incident and I am now back to zero dropouts using the constant ping method, so not a noise issue related to central heating etc. Router is in same room as set top box, which never has dropouts, but PC with problems is in a different room further away so I would guess at a wiring issue, though why the ping solves it is a mystery