What's new

Internet/Ethernet seems to be giving me lower download speeds since upgrading to latest Firmware: FW 3.0.0.4.386_41793

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WestSideHK

New Around Here
Hey guys. I am new to this forum. I have two GT AC5300's. One main setup in my office, and another as an "AIMESH" node in the living room. I have noticed that on both my Desktop PC and my Laptop (Desktop - Falcon NW), (Laptop - Origin PC)...that WIFI is great, but my Ethernet/Internet has slowed down, when it comes to download testing.

So I have the 1 GIG service from Comcast/Xfinity. I was previously getting about 940 - 945 MPS. now it is throttling up and down and I end up with 700 - 800 MPS.

Latency is either 8 or 7. Is anyone else having this issue, or does anyone have any help or that they can give me. Thanks in advance:)

That is old firmware, is it not?

What firmware did you have previously?

Is there 386.xxx level firmware for your routers?

Did you do a full reset after flashing the firmware you want to use. Without restoring any backup config files? And without 'blindly' changing the defaults because those old changes once worked long ago?

I would suspect the test results as opposed to the firmware. I've rarely or never seen a firmware release have any significant impact in a speed test, unless you changed the services or other settings, but the core firmware should have little or no effect. I have seen lots of cases where some device was downloading, someone was streaming, the internet shared upstream was saturated, the test server was busy, etc all which affect speed tests. Running numerous tests over off peak times, over a few hours, to the closest server, with all other devices disconnected may give you different results?

That is old firmware, is it not?

What firmware did you have previously?

Is there 386.xxx level firmware for your routers?

Did you do a full reset after flashing the firmware you want to use. Without restoring any backup config files? And without 'blindly' changing the defaults because those old changes once worked long ago?
Hi. Thank you for responding. I basically have the latest firmware from the ASUS site for the GT-AC5300...let me give you the exact firmware number...: 3.0.0.4.386_41793...sorry, I put the wrong firmware in the Subject line, I will fix that. I was wondering if you could let me know the following. I did in fact do a full reset, after upgrading the firmware on both the Main Router and "Node". I did not change anything that wasn't the same as before. Again, thanks for responding...let me know if you have any further advice. I will try to possibly "reset" both routers again:)

I did not change anything that wasn't the same as before.

That may be the issue right there. :)

See how closely you followed the suggested defaults below. If many were not followed, I would suggest a full reset instead to ensure the new defaults/variables of the upgraded firmware are actually used by the hardware. Many issues have also been known to clear up by simply reflashing the same firmware again, followed by a full reset too.

Be sure you followed the WPS Button reset method appropriate for your model from the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

You may also want to keep an eye out for RMerlin firmware for your model too. No, it is not available yet (and I do not know if it will be, ever), but the GT-AX11000 and the GT-AC2900 have been added very recently. Yours may be next.

The links below are where any new additions will most likely surface.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available, hosted on Onedrive)

That is great advice. Thanks very much...I will try what you suggest and see if it works (it may well). Thanks again:)

That may be the issue right there. :)

See how closely you followed the suggested defaults below. If many were not followed, I would suggest a full reset instead to ensure the new defaults/variables of the upgraded firmware are actually used by the hardware. Many issues have also been known to clear up by simply reflashing the same firmware again, followed by a full reset too.

Be sure you followed the WPS Button reset method appropriate for your model from the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

You may also want to keep an eye out for RMerlin firmware for your model too. No, it is not available yet (and I do not know if it will be, ever), but the GT-AX11000 and the GT-AC2900 have been added very recently. Yours may be next.

The links below are where any new additions will most likely surface.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available, hosted on Onedrive)
Thanks of info. I was having issues a month ago with my upload speed on my GT-AX11000, Spectrum came by said they could not find a problem. It cleared up then a few days later same problem. My Nest Camera's will alert me to slow upload speeds, and it is hard to open sites on computer. Last Sunday, my upload was 0.01 so could not use any device and my Nest cameras were down. Spectrum came yesterday, replaced my modem, everything seem find until late this afternoon. Slow upload speeds again. I am on the end run of the internet cable line which means i catch the problems. I think that Spectrum has a problem upline and they may need to replace something to clear this up. But, they want do it because of costs. AT&T has taken some of the business on my street. AT&T is to slow no matter what you buy. My neighbor complains about his speed. Any thoughts on why slow upload speed? My download is fine. I did run the new upgrade last week for GT-AX11000, but this problem was already happening of the slow upload, off and on. Thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!