What's new

Internet thief masking?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markdirt

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, so I hope this is an appropriate spot to post my question. If not, mods please feel free to move.

So here's my situation: I recently cracked my neighbor's internet (I'm a total n00b, but then again, so is WEP). However, I'm paranoid they're going to confront me and send me to jail for 50 years. How can I protect myself from being found while using their network?

By the way, I'm only using their internet to chat on AIM, check email, and play poker. I will not be torrenting or downloading any media what-so-ever except the occasional picture or so.

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, so I hope this is an appropriate spot to post my question. If not, mods please feel free to move.

So here's my situation: I recently cracked my neighbor's internet (I'm a total n00b, but then again, so is WEP). However, I'm paranoid they're going to confront me and send me to jail for 50 years. How can I protect myself from being found while using their network?

By the way, I'm only using their internet to chat on AIM, check email, and play poker. I will not be torrenting or downloading any media what-so-ever except the occasional picture or so.
I'd probably discontinue using their connection and get my own. Routers are cheap, and cable net service is too.

Hi all,

Things you can do to cover your tracks:
Gain access to their router and change the password. This will allow you to disable any logging they have in place and limit their ability to view client lists/MACs. Since the owner has to reset the router to regain access, evidence of your activity is destroyed. Provided the owner doesn't reuse the same SSID/key, you're guaranteed notice that the router was reset (which would warrant caution).

Reduce unnecessary traffic. Having your shared folders/printer pop up in the owner's network browser will not end well, especially if it is identifiable. Disable what you can, and hope the firewall catches the rest. Interposing a NAT device will take care of broadcast traffic.

Things you should not do if you don't want to go to jail:
Anything illegal.
Ask strangers for help with doing something illegal.
While asking, reuse an alias and list hobbies that make it easy to personally identify you.

Akira Masaoka, you have made a tactical error. If you PM me a scan/pdf of your new ISP bill (to show you've gone legit), I will delete this post. Otherwise, evidence of your illegal activity will remain for posterity, eventually being indexed on Google for anyone searching for your name to find.

Don't break into other people's networks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!