What's new

Still wandering the desert...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeeTaisho

Occasional Visitor
So I'm following good advice from here and steering clear of 802.11n class router for an ac model. AC1900 was suggested as the best price to performance ratio currently. Been looking exclusively at AC routers and mainly at the AC1900 class. While I see the truth in the info about the 1900, I'm left wondering if it isn't a little overkill for my needs. I'm on a pretty tight ($100-ish USD) budget and I'm seeing a lot of routers in the AC1200-1750 range that look like they would meet my needs and my budget.

Here are my details and please weigh in if you have a moment, thank you. Trying to get completely off the overpriced rental equipment. I have Xfinity Blast 150Mbps cable internet. Non-Comcast Ookla speed test is showing speeds of up to almost 200Mbps hard wired and almost 100Mbps at 5ghz wireless on my HTC One. I know it isn't a spot on measurement, but I'm definitely getting good signal & fast internet.

I picked up a 300Mbps capable gateway from the list Comcast provided of the most compatible modems/gateways for the Blast service, hoping it alone would do. As a modem it is great (clocked almost 200Mbps ethernet and my laptop browser was spitting hot fire), as a router not so much.

So here is what I am dealing with... Aforementioned gateway in bridge mode as modem (tested & getting great speed wired, but wireless is meh with crappy range) is on the first floor with an HP Laser Printer and PS4 hardwired. Can't do much about placement. I have one hi speed coax cable about 3 meters in length coming into the living room and I can't drill or nail to run more wire, so, yeah.

All in all there are 2 adults 3 kids with 5 smartphones, 5 laptops, PS3 and 2 FireTV sticks that need to run on WiFi. As far as I'm aware, none of the laptops are capable of 5ghz reception, nor is the PS3, so they'll have to be at 2.4ghz.

The FireTV sticks and smartphones are 5ghz capable. We live in an old brick farmhouse with plaster walls that was made into a duplex with 2 floors and underground basement. Not a huge coverage area & the rental gateway seems to get good signal to just about everywhere most of the time. Our bedroom is the only problem area as it is farthest away, but I can still get decent to strong signal and between 5-20Mbps at the weakest signal point but with occasional 10-20 second signal drops.

So now here is the crux of my question... Since I only have 150Mbps service (and don't see that going any higher), and a modem capable of 300Mbps max, why do I need a router capable of more than 300Mbps at 2.4ghz? Basically that's the expensive difference I am seeing between AC1200 and even 1750 and the hop to AC1900. Half the wireless we use will be on 2.4ghz, won't be upgraded soon and doesn't have an AC adapter to utilize the extra speed anyway. Since I will have a maximum of 150Mbps service for the foreseeable future, isn't anything over 300Mbps kind of expensive overkill in my situation?

I can find several well reviewed routers with some nice to have features for right around $100USD at the AC1200-1750 level. Having a VERY difficult time finding anything I am confident in at that price in AC1900. Please, for the sake of my tenuous grasp on sanity, help me get stable Netflix throughout the house for the three cranky teens and their rolling eyes. Pretty please. Thank you.

Last edited:
Very hard to read your wall of text. Paragraph breaks are needed. :)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-advice-upgrading-from-an-n300-router.23332/

See my posts in the thread above.

Short version: if you don't have 3 antennae/3 stream AC clients (or don't care if they reach maximum performance with all three antennae), then the RT-AC56U with RMerlin firmware or one of the forks thereof (john9527 or hggomes) is the best you can buy today for the budget you indicate.

This includes performance, features, reliability, range and continuing Asus support for the foreseen future (as it is based on the RT-AC68U hardware).

The RT-AC56U may be classed as an AC1200 router. But it punches above it's weight class easily (an RT-AC66U is no match for it, for example, with clients with 2 antennae or less).

Thank you for the paragraph breaks. :)

ISP provided hardware is usually terrible so the AC56U would do better in wireless range.

The other reason to upgrade to wireless AC is if your internet is around 100Mb/s or higher or you have lots of LAN communications.
A lot of devices you have can be wired so i suggest you wire them as wifi is never as reliable.

Although wireless AC (not the 1st gen like the AC66U) usually perform better with older protocols too because of newer chips that perform better.

I am fully on board the AC train, I'm just wondering if AC1200 will be sufficient for my needs. I can get the price and features I want at that level without compromising quality, so if it or even 1750 will be sufficient, that is the route I will take.

I am fully on board the AC train, I'm just wondering if AC1200 will be sufficient for my needs. I can get the price and features I want at that level without compromising quality, so if it or even 1750 will be sufficient, that is the route I will take.

With the 'AC56U having the same base hardware (less 1 antennae) of an AC1900 design, there is no reason to consider the inferior AC1750 models today.

You do not need a router with greater than 300Mbps link rates for your 2.4GHz clients (you would require much newer clients for all your devices, if they are even available to buy). But what you will get with an AC class router is better performance for all clients (N or AC) and much, much better performance for 5GHz clients vs. any N class router today for the same or less money.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/does-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance.19533/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

You need to test in your actual environment, properly, to see if it will meet your needs today and most likely for the foreseeable future.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

The links above will give you a good start on 'proper' testing.

The primary advantage of AC1900 routers is a more powerful CPU. That can help performance when there are many simultaneous clients.

The biggest change in performance comes from changing from an N to AC router. It will improve both 2.4 and 5 GHz performance. The difference betweeen AC1200 / AC1750 / AC1900 is smaller.

If AC1200 is all you can afford, then that's what you get. IMO, it's a bigger mistake to overspend in hopes that the "big number" routers will solve all your Wi-Fi woes. Router lifecycles have gotten much shorter. So today's latest-and-greatest high-priced gear will be cheaper sooner vs. later.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!