What's new

iOS 8.1 performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oh I see. I was just responding to the OP's reports of wifi issues under ios 8. Any idea if/when you'll be supporting the AC68P with your firmware?

People have successfully flashed the RT-AC68U firmware on their RT-AC68P. As far as I can tell, Asus doesn't have a separate build target for the 68P in the source code, no more than for the AC68R or AC68W, so it should be identical code.

What's mostly holding back people so far is the fact they can't reflash back to stock since there's no downloadable version of stock yet.

And what's holding me back from officially giving the stamp of approval on official support for this model is the lack of user feedback - so far only one or two user reported having successfully flashed it, and I don't have an RT-AC68P to test it myself.

Installing iOS 8.1.1. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

edit: looks good so far

Last edited:
Oh I see. I was just responding to the OP's reports of wifi issues under ios 8. Any idea if/when you'll be supporting the AC68P with your firmware?

I got a reply back from Asus tonight, and they confirmed that the RT-AC68P used the exact same firmware as the RT-AC68U. So that means you can flash either my firmware, or Asus's RT-AC68U firmware without any problem.

I got a reply back from Asus tonight, and they confirmed that the RT-AC68P used the exact same firmware as the RT-AC68U. So that means you can flash either my firmware, or Asus's RT-AC68U firmware without any problem.
Awesome. Thank you!

I have the same problem on my iPhone 5s. It's software related, not hardware. Since I changed it twice at the Apple Store. Already did a reset of network settings etc etc. My iPad Air 2 does not have these problems. Weird..

iPhone 5/iOS 8.1 - no issue
iPhone 6/iOS 8.1 - no issue
Apple TV 3/iOS 8 equivalent - no issue
iMac/OS X Yosemite - no issue.

I'm running 374.43_2 on RT-AC56U.

After upgrade to newer iOS/OS X, I don't have to change any settings on AC56U. Though wifi issues are commonly caused by environment, your device and the router.

Sorry, I know it's not of much help but hopefully it assures people that most likely the issues if any are software related.

Cheers

Seeing how widespread the reports of wifi issues are, there's a good chance Apple will eventually sort it out. I assume you already tried the suggested fix (forgetting and re-configuring wifi on your phone)?

Also, try enabling 802.11d+h support under Wireless-> Advanced on the router. Apple's devices tend to work better with this enabled from what people have reported.

The setting is actually called "regulatory mode". I'll give it a shot.

Consider changing one to use opendns or google DNS (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4) and see if it works better than the others.

I've seen this myself (even on OS X) and when I do manage to catch a trace, it's a slow DNS response for some element on the page that's blocking rendering.

Anyone with issues update to 8.1.1 and had these issues resolved?

(more curious than anything as my daughter's iPhone 5C on 8.1 seems to have random disconnect issues).

I updated last night. Need to spend more time testing to say for sure but there might be some improvement. At the very least I have no new problems.

Every time I update an iOS I need to in the device settings reset everything then do an iTunes restore on my iPhone 6 plus , or my phone drops calls, gets warm , battery problems , ect....

But after I do that everything is perfect
It really is not that big a deal as iTunes Holds all app data intact so the only thing I need to do is put in my apple password and rescan fingerprints and rescan Apple pay credit card

I have last night did my phone and my air 2 , I will see later tonight and by tomorrow night for sure if my air 2 5ghz problem is gone .

But you all should try to reset your iOS devices like me, after you update to 8.1.1 and see if that corrects your problems.

I have the same problems with my IOS 8 devices that are mentioned on here, it would seem that giving them a minute or so and the Internet returns to the device, never loses wifi. I am trying Google DNS to rule that out on my end, after a reset did not cure my problems. Happens most on my iPhone 5s and iPad mini.

Google DNS didn't cure my issue, still times out for a while before coming back.

Last edited:
AirDrops a bomb on wifi in 8.x

For those who've had issues with ios 8.x and who've tried resetting network settings without success, perhaps your issue is related to this discovery by a developer in the jailbreak community.

Apparently it is actually AirDrop that is causing wifi performance issues in Yosemite and 8.x.

For those who have jailbroken phones check out WiFried in Cydia which is a tweak allowing you to completely toggle AirDrop on and off as needed. For Mac users he also provides a workaround. For those with stock firmware, which I imagine on this forum could be very few it seems you may be SOL with your wifi issues. Sorry! Fortunately there is a Pangu Jailbreak for 8.1 and a new TAIG Jailbreak for 8.1.1 The article and his evidence can be read about here
https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

Last edited:
I have consistent dropout issues on the 5 ghz freq (bands 1 and 2) on 8.1. Switching to 2.4 ameliorates the issue but at the cost of overall performance (noticeable only for airplay over wifi (not wifi direct/awdl)). Both iPad Air gen 1 and iPhone 6+. No such issues on iOS 7 with same ipad air and iPhone 5

I also encounter this problem from time to time, ie bad performance from ios devices (iPhone 6 and iPad Air). Today I got ~0,5 Mbit/s up and down and sluggish net performance...

Tested several things on *both* devices (in this order), "flight mode on/off", "forget network", "restart device", "reset network settings".

Nothing helped...

Then I tried to reboot the AC66U (running in AP-mode) and the performance was back to 20+ Mbit/s (to WAN) again and *both* the ios devices was back to snappy performance.

I have the impression that the problem is not in the ios-devices but in the ASUS/router/firmware side.

Note: I have recently switched from D-link 825/DD-WRT to AC66U/Merlin and the problems have started *after* the switch...