What's new

iOS 8.1 performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WirelessWonk

Occasional Visitor
I was just wondering if anyone else finds that intermittently iOS 8.1 devices take a long time or fail to process http requests? I did some testing and found that although pings are not lost, using http request tools I found some requests just fail intermittently.

The same iOS 8.1 device seems to perform fine on my corporate network and older iOS 7 device seem to perform fine on my network.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Any setting that might help eliminate this?

It does seem to be an iOS issue but the fact it performs fine on other wireless networks makes me think there is something that could be tweaked on the router side.

I don't have an answer but after reading around the Apple forums (and getting complaints from my wife and kids losing connection here at home), I think there is something wrong with IOS 8.x.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6546549?start=1&tstart=0

Given that iOS 8.X has been out a fairly long time I thought some others using Merlin builds might have also noticed it or maybe found workarounds.

It seems that on some APs it does work fine.. However I am not going to be bringing Cisco enterprise AC APs home any time soon.

Problem is iOS 8. The settings need to be reset in most cases...forget the network and then re-establish it or just reset network settings. With iOS, apple has a very small beta test group, and the software typically acts like alpha during the beta phase until much later on. Just think of iOS 8.0.1, they never even tested it on the iPhone 6 by the time they pushed the go button.

Just Updated my iPhone to 8.1, had 7.1.2. Have same problem! Will try to reset network settings.

Wow this thread is disappointing. I just purchased an AC68P precisely because it seemed no one was having the issue with Asus routers. Guess I'll be returning it

Wow this thread is disappointing. I just purchased an AC68P precisely because it seemed no one was having the issue with Asus routers. Guess I'll be returning it

This thread is about iOS specific issues. Maybe you should return your Apple device instead...

Have 2 iPhones with 8.1 installed. Both work without issues. Have found in the past that when there are connection issues with iPhones to do a forget and then reconnect to the wireless network corrects the issue. I even upgraded from 8.0.1 to 8.1 over my wireless without issues.
--bill

Have 2 iPhones with 8.1 installed. Both work without issues. Have found in the past that when there are connection issues with iPhones to do a forget and then reconnect to the wireless network corrects the issue. I even upgraded from 8.0.1 to 8.1 over my wireless without issues.
--bill

I had issues with 8.0 performance. On my iPhone5, doing a forget and reconfigure worked. On my older iPad 2, it didn't. However, upgrading to 8.0.1 seemed to fix it.

They're both on 8.1 now and I don't have any issues.

If only I could say the same about my iMac after upgrading to Yosemite. :mad:

I have reset the network settings, forgot the network and also disabled the location services wifi reporting (this did help).

Sounds like. 8.1.1 is just about to be released so fingers crossed it contains more wifi fixes.

The big problem for me is that the connection performance drives family members to use LTE instead of wifi which has caused some of us to go over out data limits in past months.

This thread is about iOS specific issues. Maybe you should return your Apple device instead...
Agreed, but I was hoping the AC68 would keep me from having to do so. Plus, I'm stuck with my iPhone 6 for two more years

Agreed, but I was hoping the AC68 would keep me from having to do so. Plus, I'm stuck with my iPhone 6 for two more years

Seeing how widespread the reports of wifi issues are, there's a good chance Apple will eventually sort it out. I assume you already tried the suggested fix (forgetting and re-configuring wifi on your phone)?

Also, try enabling 802.11d+h support under Wireless-> Advanced on the router. Apple's devices tend to work better with this enabled from what people have reported.

Seeing how widespread the reports of wifi issues are, there's a good chance Apple will eventually sort it out. I assume you already tried the suggested fix (forgetting and re-configuring wifi on your phone)?

Also, try enabling 802.11d+h support under Wireless-> Advanced on the router. Apple's devices tend to work better with this enabled from what people have reported.
Thanks Merlin. Yeah, I've tried all the usual Apple wifi fixes. The root problem does seem to be ios 8, but I'll definitely try your suggestion for 802.11d+h. Any downsides to doing that?

Edit, Under Wireless I don't have Advanced. Only General, WPS, WDS, Wireless MAC Filter, RADIUS and Professional

Last edited:
Thanks Merlin. Yeah, I've tried all the usual Apple wifi fixes. The root problem does seem to be ios 8, but I'll definitely try your suggestion for 802.11d+h. Any downsides to doing that?

Edit, Under Wireless I don't have Advanced. Only General, WPS, WDS, Wireless MAC Filter, RADIUS and Professional

Sorry, I meant Professional. It always confuses me that Asus chose to call this Professional instead of Advanced.

Sorry, I meant Professional. It always confuses me that Asus chose to call this Professional instead of Advanced.
Is it exposed in the stock drivers? I have the AC68P. Not sure if you support that one with your builds yet

I have a ton on Apple devices running 8.1 or Yosemite, iPhones, iPads, AirPort Express, MacBooks, etc and have no issues running Merlin 48 Beta 3 on my RT-AC66R.

Is it exposed in the stock drivers? I have the AC68P. Not sure if you support that one with your builds yet

No, it's only displayed with my firmware. I assumed you were running it since you posted in the Asuswrt-Merlin subforum.

No, it's only displayed with my firmware. I assumed you were running it since you posted in the Asuswrt-Merlin subforum.
Oh I see. I was just responding to the OP's reports of wifi issues under ios 8. Any idea if/when you'll be supporting the AC68P with your firmware?

Iphone 5+ios 8.1, ipad+ios 8.1 = no problems. My kid have iPhone 4s and iOS 8.1, also no problems
In my case:)
I read some articles and only some people have problems with iOS 8 (some means probably many this time). I believe it is not a problem of RMerlin firmware, and even not Asus, but (unfortunately as I like their products and work on them) Apple.

Iphone 5+ios 8.1, ipad+ios 8.1 = no problems. My kid have iPhone 4s and iOS 8.1, also no problems
In my case:)
I read some articles and only some people have problems with iOS 8 (some means probably many this time). I believe it is not a problem of RMerlin firmware, and even not Asus, but (unfortunately as I like their products and work on them) Apple.

IPad mini (non retina) with no problems on N66u with stock or merlin.

Steps that took after updating to 8.1

1. Reset all settings
2. Reset network settings
3. Reset all settings

It used to be that "reset all settings" would also reset the network settings. In my case, I've found that not to be the case with the last 2 releases. One might think that I shouldn't have to do a "reset all settings" twice, but I've also had to do that with the last 2 releases.