What's new

IP Geo Filter or Ban on Bad Attempts? Is this possible on Asus routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sne3zy

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus GT-AX6000, running latest version of Merlin. I've worked with other devices that have several options that I don't see available in the Asus stock or Merlin webGUI. I'm not asking for them to be added, I just want to know if these features are available on Asus routers and I just don't know where to find them.

• First is the option to use a geo filter based on IP address, allowing you to block IPs assigned to countries. Now I know this is easily defeated, but all of the hackers that I can see trying to get into my router's VPN server are using IPs from certain countries that could just be blocked. (until they use a different proxy...)
  • Second is an auto ban based on a number of bad authentication attempts within a certain period. What I see happening in my syslog is the same IPs trying multiple times, sometimes spacing the attempts 1 minute apart to try and avoid this sort of feature.
  • Third is the ability to just reject traffic from certain IPs on the WAN or for the VPN server. I don't even see the ability to do this on my LAN with MAC IDs, only the option to setup a white/black list for MACs on the WLAN.

It looks like I can set some sort of allowed client list for the openVPN server of using client static IPs, but I need to support dynamic client IPs.

Well, just a few minutes after posting this I see that it looks like Skynet provides these features.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!