What's new

Ipad 3 & N66U control channel issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rlp2955

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I have a very curious problem that I haven't seen anyone post about related to my Ipad 3 and the N66u (with latest firmware). I recently had my 5Ghz channel set to "Auto" and noticed that my Ipad 3 speedtest.net download speeds was maxing out around 10mbps (I have a 30mb connection). All of my other devices (new Iphone 6, wife's Iphone 4S, laptop, etc) were able to consistently get up to 28/29mbps speeds.

If I go in and select individual control channels in the higher range, I still have this same issue. However, if I select any of the control channels in the lower range, the iPad 3 download speed gets up to the same speed as all of my other devices.

Does that make any sense? Would the control channel selection cause such a HUGE difference in download speed just for a single device like this?

Hi all,
I have a very curious problem that I haven't seen anyone post about related to my Ipad 3 and the N66u (with latest firmware). I recently had my 5Ghz channel set to "Auto" and noticed that my Ipad 3 speedtest.net download speeds was maxing out around 10mbps (I have a 30mb connection). All of my other devices (new Iphone 6, wife's Iphone 4S, laptop, etc) were able to consistently get up to 28/29mbps speeds.

If I go in and select individual control channels in the higher range, I still have this same issue. However, if I select any of the control channels in the lower range, the iPad 3 download speed gets up to the same speed as all of my other devices.

Does that make any sense? Would the control channel selection cause such a HUGE difference in download speed just for a single device like this?

What is the channel bandwidth you have set? I have mine set to channel 161 @ 80Mhz and my sisters iPad w/ Retina display works great

I have mine set at 40mhz. I don't have an 80mhz option.

Ah damn, maybe thats only a RT-AC68R perk since that's the router I have.

Can you take a Screen Shot of your current WiFi settings? I don't know the N66U menu well enough

Wireless Mode: N Only
Channel Bandwidth: 40 Mhz
Control Channel: 48 (all of the lower ones work)

The only thing I can think of would be possible interference with home phone but I would think I would see that interference having an issue with all of the devices, not just the Ipad.

Wireless Mode: N Only
Channel Bandwidth: 40 Mhz
Control Channel: 48 (all of the lower ones work)

The only thing I can think of would be possible interference with home phone but I would think I would see that interference having an issue with all of the devices, not just the Ipad.

It could be interference. I'm on channel 6, but no house phones. just cell phones. Here is my settings under Wireless > Professional tab

JGygnLR.png

these are your 2.4Ghz settings, not 5Ghz. I am trying to use 5 Ghz. It is just extremely curious to me that the only product I have in my home having issues with the higher control channels is my Ipad 3. My problem with keeping it set at the lower control channel is that I am not getting as good of range as I was getting on the auto/higher channels.

these are your 2.4Ghz settings, not 5Ghz. I am trying to use 5 Ghz. It is just extremely curious to me that the only product I have in my home having issues with the higher control channels is my Ipad 3. My problem with keeping it set at the lower control channel is that I am not getting as good of range as I was getting on the auto/higher channels.

Man, I'm really tired and didn't pay attention to ss 5GHz.

9vFWVUF.png

You think the new iOS update is causing maybe a issue also?

The higher channels will always have the best range they put out much more power then the lower ones. I have a iPad 2 and its speeds have always fluctuated around never constant one test it will show 53 down then another it will show 10 down don't know why, all my other computers are rock solid at 60/12 I dont pay much attention to it because it still works fine. Must be a apple thing. :rolleyes:

Ok...well, I guess I don't want to have to put up with my download speed at less than 50% of what I am getting on all my other devices. Will keep troubleshooting...I might try another router on 5ghz and higher channel to see if it behaves the same way. I can narrow it down from there.

Ok...well, I guess I don't want to have to put up with my download speed at less than 50% of what I am getting on all my other devices. Will keep troubleshooting...I might try another router on 5ghz and higher channel to see if it behaves the same way. I can narrow it down from there.

Good luck, if you ever figure it out please post back. :)

well, I did more troubleshooting this morning and I am still in the same place. No matter which of the higher control channels I select, speedtest gets a max of around 10MB/sec on the iPad when all of the other devices gets the max. I had forgot that I have a wireless bridge down in my basement so I thought maybe somehow that might be driving interference but I shut that off and had the same speed problems with the iPad.

I am going to give up for now unless others have other ideas. I have been thinking about upgrading to an "ac" router anyway. It is very curious to me as to why this specific device would be having this issue though...