What's new

Ipad killing my network. help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

starfox101

Occasional Visitor
I'm having some wireless problems, First my network is as follows: #1 switch netgear gs108T #2 switch netgear gs108T, Router is netgear FVS336G. All wired cat 5e. I have a Synology 508 NAS I stream movies to a Netgear 9150. The #1 and #2 switch are connected Link Aggregation. The 508 is connected Link Aggregation to the #1 switch. #2 switch is connected to the router. Now for the problem, I connected a Belkin N1 wireless router setup in AP mode. To the FVS336g. Wife has a new Ipad. When the Ipad is around and connected wireless it kills my movies, just lock's up the movie. Modem is connected to the FVS336G dsl.

Thanks for any help

Any reason you can't use the Belkin as a router and put the iPad on another subnet? I am guessing that maybe bonjour is the culprit, not sure if you can disable it on the NAS, so separation of networks could fix it. Try a network packet analysis.

I'm having some wireless problems, The #1 and #2 switch are connected Link Aggregation.

Thanks for any help
Try not using Link Aggregation... seems to me that on a gigE LAN with mere PCs and the NAS, single gigE speeds are more than adequate and won't be reached with this gear.

Also... the Belkin router has a formal AP mode? With DHCP disabled?

Thanks much for the help, problem is the same with or without link aggregation. The belkin is in AP mode. Not sure about DHCP. I have the FVS336g set for no more the XXX.025. The belkin starts a XXX.035.
I will check on the bonjour that may be the problem..

Thanks again

you shouldn't have multiple dhcp on the same subnet.

Thanks much for the help, problem is the same with or without link aggregation. The belkin is in AP mode. Not sure about DHCP. I have the FVS336g set for no more the XXX.025. The belkin starts a XXX.035.
I will check on the bonjour that may be the problem..

Thanks again

if there are two DHCP servers enabled, the iPAD could get a duplicate LAN address that conflicts with that issued by the DHCP server in your real router.

We'll your first problem is having a Belkin for a for a router. :)
Second you only need 1 DHCP server per subnet. More than 1 can cause ip conflicts or no ip address at all.
I'd make sure only one router on the same subnet has DHCP enabled.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!