What's new

iptables - create a rule to filter URL and schedule it with cron

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wooolf

New Around Here
Dear All,

I want to manage my time more efficiently so I want to create simple rule to block specyfic domain, netflix.com for example.
After that I want to create a schedule to disable rule in selected time range.
In the first place I tried to create a rule at least and I did this in two different ways.
  1. Added a rule manually. Steps:
    1. Create and add rule
      Code:
      iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -m webstr --url netflix.com -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
      iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m string --string "netflix.com" --algo bm --to 65535 --icase -j DROP
      iptables -I INPUT -i br0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m string --string "netflix.com" --algo bm --to 65535 --icase -j DROP
    2. Check access - netflix is still avalible
  2. Added a rule via GUI (Firewall - URL Filter) and export iptables config.
    1. Export iptables config before adding any rule (to have clear config)
      Code:
      ipconfig-save > open_url.txt
    2. Added rule
      1630306245484.png
    3. Checked access - netflix is blocked
    4. Export iptables config (to have config with blocked url)
      Code:
      iptables-save > blocked_url.txt
    5. Import open_url.txt
      INI:
      iptables-restore < open_url.txt
    6. Check access - netflix is open
    7. Import blocked_url.txt
      Code:
      iptables-restore < blocked_url.txt
      ERROR
      1630306618641.png
I assume that the last error is because ASUS is created this black list somewere, which is of course not a part of iptables config.
1630306715542.png

Best regards

Last edited:
It’s an Asus iptables-save bug that was fixed in Merlin firmware a couple years ago.

Last edited:
It's strange because I don't have so old firmware. RT-AX88U is also not so old hardware.
However I don't have the latest firmware version so I can update it and the retest iptables-save.

It's strange because I don't have so old firmware. RT-AX88U is also not so old hardware.
However I don't have the latest firmware version so I can update it and the retest iptables-save.
I don’t think they really planned on users using iptables-save, so it’s an uncommon situation on stock firmware.

Maybe someone knows how to deal with such a situation in a different way?
You can edit the blocked_url.txt file to correct the error in the iptables-save output. The original -m webstr --url will incorrectly look like -m webstr--webstr

Post the actual line in the file if you can’t get it to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!