What's new

IPv6,4&6 ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would like to enable IPV6 on my system but I only have two choices for internet. One ISP does not support it and the other one supports it but not very well. For now, I am ”stuck” with IPV4.

NAT isn't a firewall...

NAT is alive and well in IPV6 space, and IPV6 is actually more secure in many ways than IPV4
This 100%....IPv6 is way more secure when properly implemented and also the protocols are way more efficient (less overhead, no NAT (usually). I use IPv6 on my OpenVPN tunnel and love it.

By normal IP address, I guess you mean local IP address such as 192.168.1.1 which is no good as a real address because the world and its dog use the same address on their local networks!
Think of the internet as a single long street, and your address is just that IP4 address. Well, that used to be all well and good but a whole load more people, devices, servers, and bots have now moved in. There now comes a point when you end up having to share that IPv4 address with not only your uncle Frank but also with Karen from the gun club! So in order to still have your own address, a whole load of new numbers needed to be added - so many new numbers that a new (and somewhat incompatible) format was needed to hold the numbers.
Thank you for your explanation. I appreciate you taking the time to break it down for us mere mortals. I don't mind uncle Frank having the same address but Karen,, no way man LoL