What's new

ipv6 instabiliy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wiak

Occasional Visitor
does anyone else notice a instability issue when using ipv6 native wan?
everytime i turn on ipv6 for wan my network goes all wonky and slow
when i turn ipv6 off it works fine and nice and stable

Router: RT-AC87U
Merlin Firmware: 378.55

ipv6 is not stable on consumer routers. It will be a while before they are finally stable, in the mean time if you need ipv6 consider a non consumer router such as cisco (not cisco RV), ubiquiti, pfsense, mikrotik.

I beg to differ, it's perfectly stable on my RT-AC56U. But not all ISPs are ready to use it and that can cause problems. For now, if it's causing issues for you and don't want to mess with debugging turn it off.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ipv6 is not stable on consumer routers. It will be a while before they are finally stable, in the mean time if you need ipv6 consider a non consumer router such as cisco (not cisco RV), ubiquiti, pfsense, mikrotik.

And you need an ISP who knows what he's doing. Lots of ISPs out there seem to be flying by the seat of their pants rather than following technical documentations when it comes to implementing IPv6. That's something that Cisco/Uniquiti/whatever cannot fix for them.

Definitely depends on your ISP. I have the N66R and Comcast and IPv6 is fast and stable.

And to make things even more confusing, there are some Comcast users who are unable to obtain a stable IPv6 connection.

No IPv6 issues here with the Belgian ISP Telenet.

Temporarily turn off your v6 firewall and see if it makes any difference. 'Wonky and Slow' sounds like a possible MTU/Packet to Big type issue and if you're tossing certain ICMP/ICMP6 messages, your going to have a bad time. Might also consider temporarily switching to 6in4 with a broker like Hurricane Electric and see if it makes any difference for you. If the instability is in your ISP, that may get you through until they get things worked out. I've been fine with 6in4 via HE on Merlin at the same speeds as v4 (25/5).

Edit: I probably also should have asked - are your v6 pings and DNS lookups stable, and just not the traffic in a browser?

Last edited: