What's new

IPv6 stops working after a few days on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fwiw, since your link mentions OpenWRT not working, for most of this year DD-WRT builds have had the strangest problem of IPv6 stops working on router reboot or even cable modem reboot when QoS is also enabled! The annoying workaround was to disable QoS, reboot, then re-enable QoS but it seems to finally be working now in 29739 if you wanted to try that. Tomato is worse as rebooting with IPv6 and QoS both enabled at the same time leads to a perpetual reboot loop requiring a hard reset and loss of config, but oddly IPv6 works just fine with Bandwidth Limiter. So I guess making IPv6 work at all times is harder than it looks.

Are any of you using QoS on the Netgear firmware?

If NETGER can fix two issues (1: ICMPv6 filtering and 2: DHCPv6 not crashing whenever my PC tries to renew its lease) I might go back to stock firmware. Until then, I have no choice but to use Tomato. Xvortex here drains my phone's battery so I moved away from it

I am using the R7800 with IPv6 enabled, and I had the ICMPv6 filtering issue as well when I tested it at the link,
http://ipv6-test.com/

I fixed it referring to the link below, assuming you are using Windows as well.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749323(v=ws.10).aspx

I use Linux and on my Linux, ICMPv6 is allowed to pass. So it's the firmware that's blocking it. Everything works right if I use Tomato or XVortex. It's only stubborn NETGEAR that doesn't want to fix it. Many people have reported that issue and there's still no fix from NETGEAR

With IPv6 problems - if one is reaching out to formal tech support/customer care, or asking for info here on the forums, it might be useful to know who the provider is. Also note that some WAN side gear is also having problems at the premises level (e.g. cable modems, dsl gateways, etc)

There are many options that the carriers have when deploying ipv6, and they're all a little bit different - so it might be ok with one carrier, but totally broken with another.

This is an issue that doesn't just affect Netgear, but all OEM's are having problems here.

Tough problem to solve.

My issue with IPv6 were sorted by the latest private beta 'V1.0.2.02 IPv6' depending on how your ISP implements IPv6 will maybe make your mileage vary, as to a release date with the updated IPv6 (no bug fix list with the firmware) I have no idea.

My issue with IPv6 were sorted by the latest private beta 'V1.0.2.02 IPv6' depending on how your ISP implements IPv6 will maybe make your mileage vary, as to a release date with the updated IPv6 (no bug fix list with the firmware) I have no idea.

Any word on R7000 owners?

Any word on R7000 owners?
No this was a follow up to other issues with the R7800, I would imagine though that if these implementations can be added to the R7800 they should be added to the R7000, its just will Netgear make the connection that this needs doing. Its only recently that the R7000 got stable firmware after the Arlo farce.

Good to hear...maybe Netgear will roll this into the next official firmware release, along with the Apple client fixes and other IPv6 fixes from the beta release that I'm using now.

Can I assume that V1.0.2.02 IPv6 also has the other fixes (Apple client fixes in particular)?

Thanks!

Good to hear...maybe Netgear will roll this into the next official firmware release, along with the Apple client fixes and other IPv6 fixes from the beta release that I'm using now.

Can I assume that V1.0.2.02 IPv6 also has the other fixes (Apple client fixes in particular)?

Thanks!
Yes it has the Apple fixes etc all rolled in this time. I hope Netgear don't take to long to get all this out in a new release, but Netgear did say they had no ETA, which tbh means very little as sometimes netgear support seems to not know what is happening from one department to another with firmware development ;)

I had a weird experience today, and I think it could be related to bad IPv6 implementation in R7800 or ios clients.
I'm using a R7800 as an AP, the router is a "Livebox" provided by Orange, my Internet access provider. I got a new model of "Livebox", with active ipv6 + ipv4 stack (older livebox was ipv4 only). I attached the R7800 behind the new livebox, in AP mode (WIFI was deactivated on the Livebox).
On IOS client (10.3.3), I access the wlan/ssid without any problem... but when I try to fetch my mail, I have a security alert stating that the server certificate can't be trusted. When using safari for https connexion, i'm redirected to an authentication portal. Both present a Netgear certificate (cname : routerlogin.something ...). I think that ipv6 implementation is broken in current firmware. In AP mode the netgear should not interfere, level 3 configurations options are all greyed out... It should stay a layer 2 device.
As soon as I deactivate ipv6 in Livebox configuration, the behaviour of my ios clients comes back to normal without any interference from the R7800. So, the R7800 doesn't behave in the same way whether it process ipv4 or ipv6 traffic, and become acting as an authentication portal when passing IPv6 traffic.
Is anyone aware of this behaviour ?

Edit : see also https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...800-AP-mode-IPv6-weird-behaviour/td-p/1519208 where I provide further details.

Last edited:
I am also seeing IPv6 stop working every once in a while. Rebooting the router fixes it temporarily. I'm running Orbi RBK53 with 2.2 beta firmware. Seems like this problem has been going on for a very long time and across product lines.

Last edited:
Haven't used the Orbi as router in quite a while. Using it as an AP attached to R7800 "wired-only" router. IPv6 (Comcast) hasn't dropped here when I've been using the R7800, it has stayed working for weeks with no problems. On the other hand, it took Netgear quite a while to get IPv6 going on the R7000, but they finally got it going on the R7000 as well.

I am also seeing IPv6 stop working every once in a while. Rebooting the router fixes it temporarily. I'm running Orbi RBK53 with 2.2 beta firmware. Seems like this problem has been going on for a very long time and across product lines.
This problem seems to have resolved itself. IPv6 is solid now. Guessing it was a Comcast glitch rather than an Orbi glitch.

This problem seems to have resolved itself. IPv6 is solid now. Guessing it was a Comcast glitch rather than an Orbi glitch.

Good to hear, IPv6 is solid here as well. Comcast seems to be on top of that aspect of being an ISP, at least in this area...lots of different networks across the country, though, that Comcast has picked up and integration isn't instantaneous.

On the other hand, my recent experience with Comcast here having 150-180Mbps download with only 5Mbps upload was pretty miserable. If I was only doing one thing, it would be fine. But when my wife was watching a movie on Netflix, and my internet backup was uploading, and I was trying to do a download things just fell apart due to lack of upload capacity. The download that I was trying to get done just wouldn't happen. Lots of download capacity with meager upload is not useful. I've had to go up to the 250Mbps download tier to get 10-12Mbps upload. The increase in upload speed has been very helpful...although more expensive. Comcast was happy to charge me more. But that's a whole other story *smile*.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!