What's new

IPv6 stops working after a few days on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomkao

New Around Here
I was using Linksys E4200 and recently upgraded to Netgear R7800. Our local ISP (HiNet) is using DHCPv6 PD over PPPoE to supply customers with a /64 prefix. I never had a problem with IPv6 when using E4200. However when using R7800 IPv6 stops working after a few days. It takes a reboot to bring IPv6 connectivity back.

I found an 2013 thread on DSLreports and wondering if it is related?

My firmware version is 1.0.1.30.

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:
I was using Linksys E4200 and recently upgraded to Netgear R7800. Our local ISP (HiNet) is using DHCPv6 PD over PPPoE to supply customers with a /64 prefix. I never had a problem with IPv6 when using E4200. However when using R7800 IPv6 stops working after a few days. It takes a reboot to bring IPv6 connectivity back.

I found an 2013 thread on DSLreports and wondering if it is related?

My firmware version is 1.0.1.30.
Netgears implementation of iPV6 is a bit messed up, it wont work with my provider and never has with any of their routers. I would suggest talking to @NETGEAR Guy as he can probably help or at least if this is an issue get it reported back to the relevant people at Netgear.

Good luck myself and others have tried with Netgear but they just refuse to fix IPv6 and make it work the way it was intended. Bottom line if you want real working IPv6 then stay away from Netgear routers.

Thanks for the IPv6 comments...have again highlighted and shared with the relevant Netgear teams...

Thanks for the IPv6 comments...have again highlighted and shared with the relevant Netgear teams...

NETGEAR Guy, I find that with the R7800, that the ICMPv6 packet handling isn't correct. When I run the
IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test on any of my clients, I see this message as a suggestion for improvement of IPv6 functionality:

"Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all."

For background information, my ISP is Comcast, using DHCPv6-PD.

I'd appreciate your passing this one to the Netgear teams, as well.

Thanks!

Roger I have worked directly with Netgear last year on this issue to no avail. I was sent some beta firmware that that fixed the filtering issue but Netgear refuses to add it to there public builds saying its a security risk. At that point I knew I was beating a dead horse and returned my Netgear for a full refund. Using the Asus AC3100'now and all is good and IPV6 works as it should like it does with all Asus routers.

Kinda sucks to I love the hardware of the 7000 and the router works great. I believe using Xvortex fork from Merlin allows v6 to work correctly but with Asus releasing the no go back code in June I doubt there will be an Xvortex builds for much longer. Asus is really putting a stop to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Netgear refuses to add it to there public builds saying its a security risk

I assume you are referring to ICMP packets that they might be filtering by default. If that's the case, pointing them at the RFC would be the best thing to do, as product developer would usually try to follow an RFC as closely as possible. More specifically to these two sections:

RFC-4890, sec. 4.3.1
RFC-4890, sec. 4.4.1

They define which ICMPv6 packets must NOT be dropped by a gateway. @NETGEAR Guy might want to forward this along with his other IPv6 feedback.

Roger I have worked directly with Netgear last year on this issue to no avail. I was sent some beta firmware that that fixed the filtering issue but Netgear refuses to add it to there public builds saying its a security risk. At that point I knew I was beating a dead horse and returned my Netgear for a full refund. Using the Asus AC3100'now and all is good and IPV6 works as it should like it does with all Asus routers.

Kinda sucks to I love the hardware of the 7000 and the router works great. I believe using Xvortex fork from Merlin allows v6 to work correctly but with Asus releasing the no go back code in June I doubt there will be an Xvortex builds for much longer. Asus is really putting a stop to it.

Yeah, no problem with the R7000. I'm using tomato on it, and IPv6 is just fine. This is with the R7800, and stock firmware again. I knew when I came back to stock firmware that there would be some challenges. Turns out Apple clients and IPv6 are the current ones.

No third-party firmware for the R7800 yet, maybe some day *smile*.

So it goes...

They define which ICMPv6 packets must NOT be dropped by a gateway. @NETGEAR Guy might want to forward this along with his other IPv6 feedback.

Yes you got it. Maybe Netgear will listen to you. I have tried many times and finally gave up.

It would be great because like others here I have beaten a dead horse over this, I had a discussion a long while back with a netgear tech about RFC-4890, sec. 4.3.1 and RFC-4890, sec. 4.4.1 they still were not happy but seemed to say they had fixed at least part of the issue (R7000) but were not happy about implementing all of RFC-4890, sec 4.3.1 and 4.4.1 because of security concerns. I've given up now its like talking to a brick wall.

There are other IPv6 issues on R7800 I should also mention here.
  1. The stateful autoconfiguration (IPv6 > LAN Setup > Use DHCP Server) assign a /128 prefix to client and internet is not accessible via IPv6.
  2. The router assign a link local DNS address (fe80) to client and it does not answer DNS queries.
  3. There is no way to configure ULA (unique local address) which is essential for local network services such as DNS mentioned above.
  4. The router does not do TCP MSS clamping for IPv6 (it does for IPv4) which is the remedy for websites blocking ICMPv6/PMTUD.
  5. The IPv6 filtering feature is not working. I can connect to machine on LAN from outside even when the option is set to "Secured".

Last edited:
The IPv6 issues with Netgear's FW has been present for ages. Many folks have contacted them, including me, about this but Netgear has never fixed this. I lost hope and am happy on using XVortex where everything "just works".

There are other IPv6 issues on R7800 I should also mention here.
  1. The IPv6 filtering feature is not working. I can connect to machine on LAN from outside even when the option is set to "Secured".
I had this out with Netgear and they denied there was a problem, once again maybe @NETGEAR Guy can pass this back because they just said 'There is an IPV6 firewall and you cant configure it" It felt they really were not interested in this which has been reported by other users. :(

Hi...passed the request over to engineering and have received a beta FW release today.

If anyone on the post would like to test, please send me a message with your email contact...

Have confirmed iOS fixes incorporated in V1.0.2.0 (were fixed in previous beta "R7800-V1.0.0.42-iphone6").

I can send via ReadyCloud...@garethr and @Killhippie...I have your email contacts...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!