What's new

Is ASUS RT-ACRH17 ROUTER good to buy ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aligh

Occasional Visitor
Hello
Is the (asus rt- acrh 17 ac 1700 ) excellent router to buy ? I want to buy it ? please advise me

I have some questions about the router if anyone has it before :-

1- Can the router cover 3000 sq feet home?
2- What is the dc output voltage of the router ?
3- Is the antenna removable ?
4- Can it work on 220 volt?

41x6+NqVqEL._AC_.jpg

Usually they have multi-voltage input 110-230V while output may be 19V= as most other Asus routers, but adapter has to fit your mains plug.
I wont take this as it my be sold not that often and no Merlin support, better to take reliable RT-AC66U_B1 if you need a cheap one.
For 3000sq you may need more than one router, depending on building structure and speed needed at far points.
Antennas usually are removable with standard antenna plug.

Last edited:
Usually they have multi-voltage input 110-230V while output may be 19V= as most other Asus routers, but adapter has to fit your mains plug.
I wont take this as it my be sold not that often and no Merlin support, better to take reliable RT-AC66U_B1 if you need a cheap one.
For 3000sq you may need more than one router, depending on building structure and speed needed at far points.
Antennas usually are removable with standard antenna plug.

Is RT-AC66U_B1 better than rt- acrh 17 ? what do you think ?

What is Merlin support ? I am new to routers world

Merlin firmware is enhanced asus stock firmware and you might love to use it rather than stock.
Wait for others to answer too, I wont take this as I never heard before in this forum, better to go with well known models.
Doesn't mean it must be bad, but you'll have a hard time to find many recommendations to verify.
And it seem that it doesn't support Aimesh if you need more than one router to easily pair them.

Merlin firmware is enhanced asus stock firmware and you might love to use it rather than stock.
Wait for others to answer too, I wont take this as I never heard before in this forum, better to go with well known models.
Doesn't mean it must be bad, but you'll have a hard time to find many recommendations to verify.
And it seem that it doesn't support Aimesh if you need more than one router to easily pair them.

Thanks to this. Merlin firmware is open source , isn't ?
Yes better to go with well known model. but I want it because the price.
yes it doesn't support Aimesh ? is this problem ?

Only if you want to use it in case you need more than one router for your home to cover all with WiFi.
Yes, you can read his code.
Which price?
RT-AC66U_B1 you get for about 70$. Maybe wait some weeks it will go down again, now its more because of Christmas.

Only if you want to use it in case you need more than one router for your home to cover all with WiFi.
Yes, you can read his code.
Which price?
RT-AC66U_B1 you get for about 70$. Maybe wait some weeks it will go down again, now its more because of Christmas.

Yes all right.
The price of the rt- acrh 17.
Yes they are same price in amazon . I have check it .

1- Can the router cover 3000 sq feet home?
2- What is the dc output voltage of the router ?
3- Is the antenna removable ?
4- Can it work on 220 volt?

RT-ACRH17 is a region specific model, not available in every country.

1 - No
2 - 12V 0.6A
3 - No
4 - Yes

Google search + 60 seconds time.

If the price is the same, I would get RT-AC66U_B1 router.
It's the same hardware as RT-AC68U, one of the most popular ASUS models.

If the price is the same, I would get RT-AC66U_B1 router.
It's the same hardware as RT-AC68U, one of the most popular ASUS models.

Yes RT-AC66U_B1 router is better than rt- acrh 17 , but need 12 v dc output and the rt- acrh 17 is 12 v while RT-AC66U_B1 is 19 v
you mean the hardware of RT-AC66U_B1 is the same as RT-AC68U ?

I am liking the RT-ACRH17. I received one this week. And like my three RT-ACRH13 models I also use, I am using it in AP mode.

A properly setup wifi network requires multiple Access Points. Trying to use one AP for an entire dwelling si asking for trouble. Multiple APs can eliminated congetstions issues and can also all all devices to get excellent signal strength and maximum speeds.

There may be a non-official Merlin for the ACRH17. Anyone tried?

2A. BTW, 12V is an advantage because it's common, unlike Asus' unusual 19V.

@aaronwt

What practical differences do you see between the ACRH13 and ACRH17?
Any extra firmware features?

I have neither, but some differences I noticed:

Firmware updates.
ACRH17: last updated 5/2019, v3.0.0.4.382.51569.
ACRH13: updated more frequently. Last updated 12/2019, v3.0.0.4.382.51939.

Physical design.
ACRH17: LED per LAN port, USB on back.
ACRH13: Single LED for all ports, USB on front.

Flash.
ACRH17: 256MB.
ACRH13: 128MB+2MB (if two flash chips, unlike ACRH17, maybe better for recovery?).

Power (maybe). ACRH17: 2A. ACRH13: 1.5A.

Potential SoC features, unclear if Asus employs them in any way. ACRH17 (IPQ4019) theoretically supports these extras: Dual 5GHz (?), SD card, PCIe, Qualcomm's WiFi SON (a mesh thing, whatever it's supposed to do).

Refs:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq4018
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq4019
https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/ipq40x8-ipq40x9-product-brief.pdf

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-ACRH13
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-ACRH17

Last edited:
I was able to get higher throughput from the ACRH17 with the same number of devices, or the same throughput with more devices. Plus, the ACRH17 provides more coverage and a stronger signal than the ACRH13 did. The ACRH17 is also a physically larger unit than the ACRH13 is.

I retired all my ACRH13 units and am only using one ACRH17 now. To connect to the two 5Ghz wireless Bridges I use with four of my seventeen IP cameras. That are in two areas where I have no network cabling for those cameras to use.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!