What's new

Is ax11000 stable enough?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just got a GT-AX11000 a few days ago and I'm on the latest firmware. I'm not finding the stability a problem.

I think I am getting the wifi drop out issue that people are talking about (which I understand from other posts came with this latest firmware) but it's barely noticeable for me. Not bothering me even in the slightest.

I only realised it was happening because I had authenticated both a 5ghz and the 2.4ghz on my MacBook. I had set it to preferentially connect to the 5ghz, i.e. so it would only auto-connect to the 2.4 if the 5 wasn't available for some reason... I noticed that, every now and then, if I checked which it was connected to, that it had dropped to the 2.4ghz, indicating that the 5ghz had dropped out at some point (even if just for a moment). To test it, I stopped it from auto-connecting to the 2.4 so I could get a proper idea of how long the 5 was actually dropping out for (i.e. so it had only the 5 to connect to and no back up option)... I'm not even noticing it. If it is still dropping out, it must be for a fraction of a second, such a brief amount of time that I can't tell it's happening. My Time Machine Backups are running smoothly, I'm streaming full 4K movies from my NAS over wifi without issue and I'm constantly online and not having any problems... If it's still wavering, it's not for any length of time and not causing any issues for me. I gave feedback on it nonetheless.

I don't know if that gives you any peace of mind but that's my experience since Thursday.

Last edited:
Same here, i am usin the AX-11000 as primary and the RT-AC68U as mesh node. Everything is running smooth and stabel. I must noticed that i havent upgradet yet to the latest fimware. i am still on the previous one. So for me it is not really needet the newer firmware

As an update, it's been a few more days and my router has been running perfectly. Not a single restart needed since I finished entering my settings.
I have some devices on a VPN, others through my normal internet. Wifi working great for streaming and I am transferring files over wifi in record speed.
Super pleased. Not having any issues at all.

I just test in this 10 hours. I found the Wi-Fi download speed is the same as gt 5300, 440Mbs. I have no idea why the upload speed is slow than gt 5300. Ax11000 upload speed only in 250Mbs, and gt 5300 around 400. My internet is 400/400 fios

Since have the bad experiences with ax88u, I am afraid the ax11000. I want to buy the ax11000. I want to know it is any Wi-Fi drop issues in the latest firmware?
I upgraded to the latest firmware and my wifi connection dropped from 800-1000Mb/s to 250-350 Mb/s

I took the plunge and bought a factory refurbished AX11000. People must have really crappy routers because all the reviews where showing MASSIVE gains in connection speed. My AX11000 is getting about the same down as my Xfinity xb6 gateway...

So what am I going to do? That's right. Throw more money at it. I have a WiFi 6 PCIe card on the way to see if that ups it any. If that doesn't do anything, get another router and go AIMesh.

If that doesn't do anything, send it all back and just use the xb6. Then pick up an xb7 once they become available. Lol!

I took the plunge and bought a factory refurbished AX11000. People must have really crappy routers because all the reviews where showing MASSIVE gains in connection speed. My AX11000 is getting about the same down as my Xfinity xb6 gateway...

So what am I going to do? That's right. Throw more money at it. I have a WiFi 6 PCIe card on the way to see if that ups it any. If that doesn't do anything, get another router and go AIMesh.

If that doesn't do anything, send it all back and just use the xb6. Then pick up an xb7 once they become available. Lol!

Adding mesh nodes only buys range. At a certain point more nodes slows things down since AIMesh nodes all use the same wireless channel so they compete with one another.

Wired AP node (non-AIMesh) on discrete WiFi channels (same SSID/password) is the way to go. Asus makes it super easy to set these up, just have to copy/paste your WiFi passwords during setup and the WAN port becomes an uplink to your router on the same subnet.

Last edited:

When I tested the GT-AX11000 as my main, i didn't have any issues. but that was before all the additional new Wifi features got melded into the firmware now. I would recommend disabling some of the newer features for a baseline test. see what gets you the best performance.

Wired AP node (non-AIMesh) on discrete WiFi channels (same SSID/password) is the way to go. Asus makes it super easy to set these up, just have to copy/paste your WiFi passwords during setup and the WAN port becomes an uplink to your router on the same subnet.

No doubt. However running cable is out of the question right now. If I could do that, I'd just run a cable to my computer direct from the router.

When I tested the GT-AX11000 as my main, i didn't have any issues. but that was before all the additional new Wifi features got melded into the firmware now. I would recommend disabling some of the newer features for a baseline test. see what gets you the best performance.

Agreed. I am hit with a barrage of options and I cannot find much out there in terms of should I disable or not. I wish there was a guide that said something along the lines: For (light,medium,heavy) home use, disable/enable the following features for optimum performance.

I got the Wifi6 PCIe card coming Sunday so hopefully that'll give it enough of a bump to justify the cost.

Another thing I do like is that I can stop paying Comcast 20 dollars a month for their xFi app. I only use it to limit what times my kids can be online. (EDIT: Comcast just told me that if I disable xFi, then I lose unlimited data... What a racket.)

Last edited:
Little off topic: So comcast/xfinity charges 20 a month to use their 'xFi' gateway. Even though I have it in bridge mode. They explained they would charge me 50 a month if I used my own modem...

Now for the good news I bought an Asus PCE-AX58BT Wifi 6 adapter and my down speed went from 130mbps to 800mbps! This is the computer that is the farthest away from the router and separated by a brick wall. Crazy happy with my purchase now.

Little off topic: So comcast/xfinity charges 20 a month to use their 'xFi' gateway. Even though I have it in bridge mode. They explained they would charge me 50 a month if I used my own modem...

Yeah they told me the same thing. If I rent their modem for $14 per month they can give me unlimited data for $11, so a total of $25 per month... But if I use my own hardware, then unlimited data is $50 per month.

I wish there was some more competition for them... They also told me that if I was in an area that Wave or CenturyLink serviced with Gigabit, then Comcast would sell me the Gigabit for cheaper.

Pretty lame way to treat a customer who has been with you for 20+ years... Heck I had a @home.com email in 1999 from them.

Anyways, I'll stop now </rant>

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!