What's new

Is DD-WRT still relevant?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DD-WRT not complex if you just need to turn your router into AP (access point) or client bridge or etc. The idea was to improve your router from the stock firmware kind of overclocking it through locked down firmware code. Tomato and OPEN-WRT does the same also might be slightly more complex for most to understand those two. Linux type of code being tap into. Not all router but those that were from Linksys company now Cisco or whoever run Linksys so much changes and merging.

I don't use DD-WRT and the routers I had to use them on I know long use. 802.11G there is nothing wrong using the G if you only have that sort of hardware. Don't let others tell you not to use it. I still have 802.11G hardware here but I don't use it and have disable 802.11 Mix Mode.

I don't use 802.11AC or the newer 802.11AD since all my other wireless hardware is 802.11N so in other words whatever you have then you should stick to what you need not what others tell you should need. In the end just don't want to waste so much money or time trying out different firmware just to learn that it won't work or just not needed.

Nodes - 15 wired / 30 wireless

Just one last comment...dd-wrt was the only choice that I had to make my R7000 work reliably a few months ago. There's no OpenWrt for it that I'm aware of, and Tomato still has a couple of revs to go even now before it's civilized enough to make me want to use it. On the other hand, it looks like OpenWRT may be the place to go for WRT1900AC, fine by me *smile*. The R7000 performs very well with dd-wrt firmware, better than any router I've had before, so I've used it.

"Relevant" isn't the question for me, it's more what's available that works for the task at hand. I'm sorry that people have bricked routers using it in the past, I'm not aware of any R7000's that have been bricked using it.

I didn't find the learning curve to be bad (for me), but then there have been a lot of times during my career in software where I've had to use the tools that do the job, and friendliness is not the issue *smile*.

Last edited:
I'm going to skip the DD-WRT setup for this install. Not necessarily because of DD-WRT itself, but because of the hardware. I've got about 25 Linksys WRT54G (x) routers that are not in use. Thought that configuring them would be a good fit. But in the end it felt dirty putting such old equipment in.

Instead I've decided to go with a couple of Unifi APs. I've done three or four of them in the past and haven't had to touch them once they were set up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!