What's new

FlexQoS Is FlexQoS compatible with Flow Cache?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deetlemore

Occasional Visitor
A quick question to any of you experienced folk. I just purchased an AX86U Pro to replace my trusty old N66U, does FlexQoS still require flow cache to be disabled in order to work properly?

I've got an average of 650 Mbps down, so to be fair I'm not certain I need to use QoS, but when I download from Steam it has no problem fully saturating the connection, and other members of my house wind up with atrocious speed. I could set a bandwidth limit I suppose, but I'd like to be able to fully utilize the available throughput and have the switch deal with bandwidth allocation as needed.

I did my best to research the status of this bug, but there are a ton of threads to sort through.

A quick question to any of you experienced folk. I just purchased an AX86U Pro to replace my trusty old N66U, does FlexQoS still require flow cache to be disabled in order to work properly?

I've got an average of 650 Mbps down, so to be fair I'm not certain I need to use QoS, but when I download from Steam it has no problem fully saturating the connection, and other members of my house wind up with atrocious speed. I could set a bandwidth limit I suppose, but I'd like to be able to fully utilize the available throughput and have the switch deal with bandwidth allocation as needed.

I did my best to research the status of this bug, but there are a ton of threads to sort through.
FlexQoS should just "work". But typically people don't post questions about an ADDON in the RMerlin Release threads. I would recommend messaging the developer, or contacting the addon thread separately about you inquiries.

This thread may be helpful :

Last edited:
This is the correct place to ask.

This was broken for the RT-AX86U/AC86U (i believe too) & possibly other AX models.

The workaround was to manually disable HW Acceleration (Runner/Flow Cache). Im not sure about the RT-AX86U Pro version.

You can do some testing with Flex enabled to ensure traffic is getting routed correctly. Once disabled, your speeds will be limited to around 350Mbps so keep that in mind depending on your paid ISP speeds. But with your speeds you probably dont need QoS.

Plus newer models seem to need an update on the firmware side so Flex might not work properly at this time:

Thread 'Probelm with FlexQOS on AXE-16000' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/probelm-with-flexqos-on-axe-16000.84686/

Last edited:
FlexQoS should just "work". But typically people don't post questions about an ADDON in the RMerlin Release threads. I would recommend messaging the developer, or contacting the addon thread separately about you inquiries.

This thread may be helpful :

My apologies, I must have had my blinders on when looking through the sub-forums. Thanks for the link!

This is the correct place to ask.

This was broken for the RT-AX86U/AC86U (i believe too) & possibly other AX models.

The workaround was to manually disable HW Acceleration (Runner/Flow Cache). Im not sure about the RT-AX86U Pro version.

You can do some testing with Flex enabled to ensure traffic is getting routed correctly. Once disabled, your speeds will be limited to around 350Mbps so keep that in mind depending on your paid ISP speeds. But with your speeds you probably dont need QoS.

Plus newer models seem to need an update on the firmware side so Flex might not work properly at this time:

Thread 'Probelm with FlexQOS on AXE-16000' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/probelm-with-flexqos-on-axe-16000.84686/

I'll have to mess around with it on Sunday when the house is quiet, I suspected it was still non-functional. I'm going to assume the built-in Adaptive QoS is still subpar compared to FlexQoS (or also non-functional).

You're probably right about me not needing QoS in general, I just liked the idea of being able to allow downloads to fully saturate my connection, and letting the switch "throttle" it as needed. I appreciate the info!

Yes, Flow Cache still needs to be disabled. Confirmed on latest firmware ( 388.2 right now ) with RT-AX56U and RT-AX68U

That's unfortunate. I did try the built-in Adaptive QoS and can confirm it's still unimpressive when it comes to properly prioritizing traffic.

Looks like I'll be sticking with no QoS for the time being. Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!