What's new

Is frequent freeze ups of the web control panel indicative of hardware problems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ex313

Regular Contributor
I regularly have to unplug and restart the router after logging into the web control panel,as it becomes un responsive. Is this a normal occurrence with these routers or should I be investigating replacing the hardware. Currently running a RT-AC1900P with 384.12 installed.

I'm having the same problem on my RT-A68P. This device has been running well for several years, but starting a few weeks ago I started having these problems. Here's what happens: sometimes I'm unable to log in to the web interface and sometimes when I do log in, it will freeze shortly after. When I am able to log in, I can sometimes see that both CPU's are pegged at 100%. I can usually SSH into the router, but then the SSH interface hangs. I'm on v384_12. This has been happening since at least v384.11_2.

Since this is a relatively recent problem, I'm wondering if it's a memory leak that was introduced within the last few releases. I have a USB drive with a swap file, but I don't know if that makes a difference if physical memory is filled up.

I'm tempted to just set a periodic reboot, but I would rather diagnose the problem before I use a sledge hammer approach to fix it. Can anybody recommend a way to diagnose this kind of problem? Are other people having similar problems? How many people use a scheduled reboot to fix this?

make a factory reset and manual config as first step, then you will see.
Use M&M procedure from member L&LD, well done for problems like yours!
https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#info

And have a look at the temps, CPU over 80°C?
CPU is at 82 C - I took the unit and blew it out real good a few weeks ago, as I thought heat might be a concern.

I did a reset on it a couple months ago. Didn't seem to make a ton of difference, I do notice on occasion that one of the CPU meters will be pegged at 100%. A power cycle will take care of it.

We have been running this router for two years now.

go very exactly through M&M from link above, if then there are still problems your last chance will be RMA.
82°C is quite hot but should still be ok in summer when CPU is on 100% (thats the real problem I think).
And before update to 384.13 twice!

Also make sure you dont have any faulty usb devices connected up that are constantly fighting for cpu resources.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!