What's new

Is it a good idea to keep up with Firmware updates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The one I am running as an AP is about 100 Ft away from Main router and I am not getting a very strong Aimesh signal when I had tried it, So I have Cat 5 from Main router to Nano station and another nano station Cat 5 connected to AP in the shop.

The one I am running as an AP is about 100 Ft away from Main router and I am not getting a very strong Aimesh signal when I had tried it, So I have Cat 5 from Main router to Nano station and another nano station Cat 5 connected to AP in the shop.

Gotcha. However in reality, aimesh should work over the nanostation link, it would see it as "hardwired" as long as you use the WAN port on the AP. Not positive if the nanos will pass vlans though, I think they will.

Either way, basically same process for that unit.

The nanoBeams I have are definitely VLAN-capable. The GUI configuration options around that are pretty simplistic, but they can certainly pass traffic.

Figured they would since they are basically a "wireless wired link" intended for point to point use. Not sure if you'd even have to configure the VLANs or just let it pass them. @JOE.G you could give it a shot setting up that garage AP as an aimesh wired node via your nano link. If it doesn't work at first try adding VLAN 501 and 502 to the nanos, but it probably will work fine without that.

AP WAN to nano then other nano to main router LAN (just like your 5300 node is connected if using wired backhaul for that one).

There do seem to be some cases where you need to set it up wireless first then change to wired, may want to bring it inside to do that then move it back out. But try it wired first.

My Current node is set up wireless for backhaul, Just was easier than trying to run a wire. Could I take that node outside and plug the Nano into the Wan port and see?

What would be the benefits of using Aimesh instead of the AP?

I am really sorry if questions seem basic but I really as you can tell need the the help. Thank you

My Current node is set up wireless for backhaul, Just was easier than trying to run a wire. Could I take that node outside and plug the Nano into the Wan port and see?

What would be the benefits of using Aimesh instead of the AP?

I am really sorry if questions seem basic but I really as you can tell need the the help. Thank you

Yeah you should be able to try it off the nano - I'm not an aimesh expert, I believe you have to choose the connection type but there may be an "auto"? Just make sure it is trying to connect using wired and that should tell you if it works or not.

The main benefits are central management for the whole network and the ability to have an isolated guest network span between all of the nodes and be isolated everywhere. Other benefits are a more centralized roaming assistant/band steering implementation that tries to balance your whole network for you. However in some cases people find that works worse than doing it themselves, but sounds like you have a decent distance (not much overlap) between nodes so would probably work ok for you.

Basically it would take the benefits you have of your current two router Aimesh setup and extend it to the 3rd, making it all one system. Not critical, if it is working for you how it is and there aren't any issues with roaming etc then you can just leave it.

Okay, So I had a AC 3100 that had stopped transmitting Wifi, I took it back out to day did a hard reset and then added it as a node. I took it out to my shop and I tried it instead of the AP, SO far so good, with out the Nanostation hooked up and it just connected wireless the speeds were a little slow, With the Nano plugged in I had very good speeds. I hooked the Nano to the Wan port on the node in the shop correct?

I did do a Hard reset on both Nodes, I will do the main router at some point. I am going to try this out for a few days and if all goes well I'll turn the AC 88 into the shop node and use the 3100 some place else.

Okay, So I had a AC 3100 that had stopped transmitting Wifi, I took it back out to day did a hard reset and then added it as a node. I took it out to my shop and I tried it instead of the AP, SO far so good, with out the Nanostation hooked up and it just connected wireless the speeds were a little slow, With the Nano plugged in I had very good speeds. I hooked the Nano to the Wan port on the node in the shop correct?

I did do a Hard reset on both Nodes, I will do the main router at some point. I am going to try this out for a few days and if all goes well I'll turn the AC 88 into the shop node and use the 3100 some place else.

Yes when running Aimesh the node should be on the WAN port as far as I know. When running as a standalone AP it can be any port. Does your main router see that as an aimesh node now?

Yes Main router sees it plugged in and also wireless. Things seem to be working pretty good but I don't think they hand off/Switch to diffrent nodes soon enough, the signal can get pretty weak in spots and it still is hooked to the further away router.

Yes Main router sees it plugged in and also wireless. Things seem to be working pretty good but I don't think they hand off/Switch to diffrent nodes soon enough, the signal can get pretty weak in spots and it still is hooked to the further away router.

That is mostly decided by the client device however you can tweak the thresholds in aimesh to "help" the client make that decision. You can also adjust power settings of each node under wireless settings etc too.

Maybe I should start a new thread about those settings unless you guys are able to guide me.

You can also adjust power settings of each node under wireless settings etc too.

There is no power adjustment per node in AiMesh and the nodes have no GUI.

Maybe I should start a new thread about those settings unless you guys are able to guide me.

The only tool you can try in AiMesh setup is Roaming Assistant on the main router. There is nothing else.