What's new

Is it a good idea to keep up with Firmware updates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
I have had issues in the past when updating firmware and Internet speed, But it may have just been a fluke, Should I keep up with the updates? If so On all routers or the nodes as well? What about ones acting as access points? Thanks

Keep an eye on threads relating to your model and firmware updates. Wait a week or two to see if there are any common bugs.

Is it a good idea? Absolutely. Firmware updates will bring features as well as important security fixes.

As noted by @andyross - you can always wait a bit after the release for the early adopters to give it a spin and report any significant issues...

It's always a great idea to install the latest firmware (and as others have said, maybe after waiting until the early adaptors prove its worth) on both routers and nodes.

The most stable networks I have seen are ones where the main and nodes are identical router models (or at least, same class router models, i.e. AX class) running identical (RMerlin) firmware. This way, there can be no GPL drop mismatches between models when RMerlin or stock firmware is invariably ahead or playing catch up (if you're mixing RMerlin and stock firmware on the main/nodes in the same network).

If there are issues and glitches, that usually means some of the underlying logic changed and the network needs reconfiguring anyways.

To properly test a new firmware version, with the least downtime, follow the steps below.

• Take screenshots of all the changes you make to your router, past its defaults. You can use Notepad, Word, images, or PDFs, but I recommend using a method that you can update, copy and paste from/to. Keep this file with the files you will create/download below.
  • Before doing anything further, create a current backup config file of your router now. Also, create a JFFS backup config file too if needed.
  • Download your currently installed firmware, and save it in a folder with the files you created above. Be sure you verify the file you downloaded isn't corrupted.
  • Download the updated firmware you want to try. Verify the file is intact.
  • Safely remove all USB drives from the router. Reboot via the GUI.
  • Flash the new firmware and after the router reboots, wait at least 15 minutes and then reboot the router once more, via the GUI again.
  • Insert the USB drive (if you had one installed previously) and after 15 minutes or so, reboot via the GUI once more.
  • If there are issues, perform a Hard Factory Reset, and follow that by minimally and manually setting up the router via the notes and screenshots you took at the top of these steps. Do not import any saved backup config files here. With each setting change, test that the router/network is working as expected.
  • If, after doing the above step, the issues still continue, you can quickly go back to your working setup by flashing the previous firmware you had installed (and you downloaded above), performing another Hard Factory Reset, and then simply import the backup config files you created in step two.

The steps above are the minimum required to 'always' have your router at the latest firmware (and test/do so properly) while having a quick way to go back to your previous working setup.

Hope this helps.

Should I keep up with the updates?
Short answer? Yes.

Quite often the firmware updates will include bug fixes, security and vulnerability patches. Leaving those vulnerabilities or bugs unpatched runs the risk of one's router (or other unpatched device) being compromised (or worse). What the more seasoned people do wait a day or two after a firmware update has been released to see if there are wide spread issues with it. Typically firmware update issues are quick to manifest themselves and be reported online both here and on social media.

In mid to large corporate environments, they tend to have dedicated and isolated equipment set aside to run the firmware or patch updates on before rolling those updates out to their system wide production/live environment.

I have had issues in the past when updating firmware and Internet speed, But it may have just been a fluke, Should I keep up with the updates? If so On all routers or the nodes as well? What about ones acting as access points? Thanks
Like andyross suggested, I usually wait a week or two and keep an eye out for posts from others on related forums.

I see the latest firmware is mid 2022 for my router according to ASUS website, I am a few updates behind.

I see the latest firmware is mid 2022 for my router according to ASUS website, I am a few updates behind.

If you're that far behind I'd update all devices. It is tested and "burned in" by now.

You don't mention what model but if the latest firmware listed has "384" in it, it is time to start considering replacement equipment. There are known security issues with 384.

At the very least make sure you have WAN access totally disabled (SSH and HTTP/S) and have a very secure password. Not a bad idea to factory reset using WPS both before and after the update for 2 reasons - big jump in firmware can cause issues without a reset, and if you have been compromised that will get rid of it.

So I did the Update to the Main and the Node, which are both RT AC -5300's and the Access point was already on the newest est and that is a RT AC -88U.

I am not good with this stuff so how do I do a Reset using the WPS, ( I Did google but Some info I read seemed to differ a little ) .

How do I get my settings back the way they are so everything works?
My set up is this
I have a Motrolla Modem that I purchased, My main 5300 is hooked to that along with a Nano station M2 that shoots interent to another Nano station at my shop about 100 Ft away. At the Shop the Nano M2 is plugged into a RT AC 88U which is set as an access point and I have Wifi out there and I have a Camera system hooked to that. I had a lot of trouble getting this all working ( Especially the cameras ) I don't want to screw anything up.

The other 5300 acting as a node is on the other end of house and upstairs.
The reason this all started is I think My GF hit the Wifi button on router which I didn't know was there, I went in and manually reconnected the radios on the 3 bands but now, I only get the devices coneected to the wifi when I do a reset and connect the devices right away, If I wait to get a device on Wifi it won't connect.

Thank you

I am not good with this stuff so how do I do a Reset using the WPS, ( I Did google but Some info I read seemed to differ a little ) .
Which hard factory reset method one uses depends on which router model they have (are using).

For the following products, use Method 1: 4G-AC53U, 4G-AC55U, 4G-AC68U, 4G-AC86U, 4G-AX56, Blue Cave, BRT-AC828, DSL-AC68R, DSL-AC68U, RP-AC1900, RP-AC51, RP-AC53, RP-AC55, RP-AC68U, RT-AC1200, RT-AC1200_V2, RT-AC1200E, RT-AC1200G, RT-AC1200G+, RT-AC1200GU, RT-AC1200HP, RT-AC1300G PLUS, RT-AC1300UHP, RT-AC1750, RT-AC1750_B1, RT-AC1750-B1, RT-AC1900, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC1900U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC3200, RT-AC51U, RT-AC51U+, RT-AC52U, RT-AC52U B1, RT-AC53, RT-AC54U, RT-AC55UHP, RT-AC56S, RT-AC58U, RT-AC59U, RT-AC59U_V2, RT-AC66R, RT-AC66U, RT-AC66U White, RT-AC66U-B1, RT-AC66W, RT-AC67U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC68R, RT-AC68RW, RT-AC68U, RT-AC68U White, RT-AC68UF, RT-AC68W, RT-AC750, RT-AC750GF, RT-AC750L, RT-AC85P, RT-AC87R, RT-AC87U, RT-AC87W, RT-AC88U, RT-ACRH13, RT-ACRH17, RT-AX53U, RT-AX89X, RT-N11P-B1, RT-N12 (VER.D1), RT-N12+ B1, RT-N12E-C1, RT-N12HP B1, RT-N12-plus-PRO, RT-N12-VP-B1, RT-N14UHP, RT-N18U, RT-N19, RT-N300-B1, RT-N66R, RT-N66U (VER.B1), RT-N66U C1, RT-N66W, RT-N800HP

For the following products, use Method 2: ASUS ZenWiFi AC (CT8), DSL-AX82U, GT-AC5300, GT-AX11000, GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, GT-AXE11000, ROG Rapture GT-AC2900, ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, ROG STRIX GS-AX3000, ROG STRIX GS-AX5400, RP-AX56, RT-AC2900, RT-AC86U, RT-ACRH18, RT-AX1800, RT-AX3000, RT-AX55, RT-AX56U, RT-AX58U, RT-AX58U V2, RT-AX68U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX82U GUNDAM EDITION, RT-AX86S, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U ZAKU II EDITION, RT-AX88U, RT-AX92U, TUF-AX3000, TUF-AX3000 V2, TUF-AX5400, ZenWiFi AC Mini (CD6), ZenWiFi ET8, ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12, ZenWiFi XD6S, ZenWiFi XT9

For the following products, use Method 3: Lyra, Lyra Mini, Lyra Trio

For the following product, use Method 4: Lyra Voice

For the following products, use Method 5: DSL-AC51, DSL-AC52U, DSL-AC55U, DSL-AC56U, DSL-N12E_C1, DSL-N12U_C1, DSL-N16, DSL-N17U, DSL-N55U_C1

For the following products, use Method 6: ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8), ZenWiFi Mini AX XD4, ZenWiFi XD6

For the following product, use Method 7: RT-AC5300

[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 3

[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 4

[Wireless Router ] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 5

[Wireless Router] ASUS router ZenWiFi XD4/XD6/XT8 Hard Factory Reset - Method 6

[Wireless Router] ASUS router RT-AC5300 Hard Factory Reset - Method 7

Youtube video: How to Hard Factory Reset ASUS Router? (Method 1,2 and 7) | ASUS SUPPORT

Youtube video: How to Hard Factory Reset ASUS Router? (Method 3 and 4) | ASUS SUPPORT

Youtube video: How to Hard Factory Reset ASUS Router? (Method 5) | ASUS SUPPORT

Youtube video: How to Hard Factory Reset ASUS Router? (Method 6) | ASUS SUPPORT

Generally one would manually reconfigure their router after a hard factory reset. The router GUI does include the option to export and save a configuration file that can be later imported back into the router to restore the previous settings after resetting the router. Note that such in import of a saved configuration file can reintroduce issues or incorrect settings that may have been the cause of one's prior issues. It is not advisable to import the saved router configuration file into a different firmware version from the version it was exported or saved from.

Last edited:
Is there any screens I should take a picture of to make sure I get it set back up to work with my set up? IP addresses and what not? There are a lot of pages if I wanted to take a picture of every tab.

There are features On this router that I don't use.

I appreciate everyones help, I don't know much about this stuff or have anyone that does.

To properly test a new firmware version, with the least downtime, follow the steps below.

This is good advice...

One thing I would add - read the release notes if possible, usually good info in there, esp if there are significant features added or changed, or whether one needs to do a full reset, etc...

Is there any screens I should take a picture of to make sure I get it set back up to work with my set up? IP addresses and what not? There are a lot of pages if I wanted to take a picture of every tab.
It comes down to what features you use on the router and how it's configured. At the very least you want to capture the information from the following pages for a basic setup:
  • Guest Network (if you are using it)
  • Wireless - General (both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, include the WiFi passwords)
  • LAN - LAN IP
  • LAN - DHCP Server
  • WAN - Internet Connection
  • Administration - Operation Mode
  • Administration - System
Beyond those basic pages depends on your configuration, if using IPv6, and if using AiMesh or other features like AiProtection.

There are features On this router that I don't use.

I appreciate everyones help, I don't know much about this stuff or have anyone that does.

I would take screen shots (using printscreen and word/wordpad or mspaint to paste them in) of any screen you've changed settings on just to be safe. LAN WAN, wireless (standard and advanced tabs for both 2.4 and 5ghz), there are many other possibilities, you need to know which ones you've customized and which you haven't.

If there is any chance you feel the router may have been compromised at any point, you want to do the hard factory reset detailed in the other post BEFORE you upgrade the firmware, then again after.

I Did a Firmware update and it seems to be working fine, I didn't do a Hard Reset before doing it as I did not see that suggestion until after I did it. I have taken a screen shot of pretty much every page and tab. I think i'll do the hard reset as soon as I have some free time to mess with it .

Do I have to do that to the AiMesh Node and the Access point router also?

I Did a Firmware update and it seems to be working fine, I didn't do a Hard Reset before doing it as I did not see that suggestion until after I did it. I have taken a screen shot of pretty much every page and tab. I think i'll do the hard reset as soon as I have some free time to mess with it .

I would, yes. In fact to re-join the node you'll need to reset it anyway, at which piont it will get its configs from the main router, so that one is fairly easy.

I would.

Some more fw reset and upgrade notes for you...

Hard Reset the firmware before you configure it from scratch.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

FW Upgrade
o Save settings to .cfg file for recovery (unique to fw)
o Download fw to wired PC
Run WinMD5 to verify ASUSWRT file MD5 checksum value
Review release notes
o Eject/disconnect USB storage (free RAM; secure data)*
o Reboot AiMesh\System, wait
o Upload fw to nodes, wait; then root node, wait

FW Reconfiguration
o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Set root node Restore+Initialize to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch (do not restore from .cfg file)

OE

So I should do a Hard reset using WPS? I have all of my screen shots so hopefully when I do it I can get everything working correctly. Should I have to do anything to my AP Router or should nothing change with that one, Only Would need to connect the Aimesh Node router?

So I should do a Hard reset using WPS? I have all of my screen shots so hopefully when I do it I can get everything working correctly. Should I have to do anything to my AP Router or should nothing change with that one, Only Would need to connect the Aimesh Node router?

Unplug/power off the mesh node and AP. WPS reset main router, get it up and running. Then update firmware on the mesh node and WPS reset that. Join it to aimesh.

Your AP, update latest firmware, WPS reset. Not sure why using it as an AP, why not make it another mesh node? But you can run it as standalone AP too.