What's new

Is it possible to bridge WLAN to WAN interface, and use OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phylion

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Based on my last question to fiddle with VLAN's at the WAN interface to support IPTV with KPN in the Netherlands, I came up with another possible solution. I want to use my AC66 for the WIFI signal's. Also I want to use the OpenVPN server.

so, is it possible to make a bridge between the WLAN interfaces for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with the WAN interface, and leave the rest of the routing possibility? That way devices on WLAN get an ip address of the provider supported router/gateway, all devices are on the same subnet.
And I guess I can route OopenVPN traffic to the Asus based on port mappings on the router of the provider.

But how can I make the WAN and WLAN interfaces to be part of 1 bridge group?

Or am I overlooking something?

Today I fiddled with different settings, but no luck so far.
It looks like I do not understand the combination of the function bridge, vlan and interfaces.
I tried setting up bridge br1. Then removed eth1 and eth2 from bridge br0 and added to bridge br1.
As soon as I add interface eth0 the box freezes, and only reboot possible by hardwRe reset (power off/on)

A more stupid brutal attemp was als not succesfull. I can't get a working situation that LAN and WAN get ip addresses within the same ip subnet. That should do the trick, since I won't use DHCP at LAN level.

Does anyone has an idea how I can get OpenVPN working, and the wlan interfaces are in the same subnet as the WAN interface?

For the complete picture: I need to use a router of my fiber provider because of IPTV. The asus ac66 is placed behind the router of the provider, an will be used only as wireless access point & openvpn server.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!