What's new

Is it possible to put SSH on an AC-66U with stock firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

distilled

I need to be able to run commands locally with a script, and telnet just won't cut it.

I saw here:

that, as it turns out, Asus didn't include the MIPS devices in their update to SSH. I have an old AC-66U (not B) running 3.0.0.4.382_52287 that has telnet available, but not SSH, which is apparently normal for stock. LAN-side SSH access is somewhat important to me, so does anyone know if it is possible to get SSH working on this router?

My guess is that no, it cannot be done without moving Earth and sun, and that the best option will be to install John's LTS fork. Which needs to be done anyway, the last official update to that box was early August, but updating the firmware will require me to physically be there, and this is a distant, remote site I rarely visit in person.

Without being able to run custom scripts from JFFS, I am stymied.

Without being able to run custom scripts from JFFS, I am stymied.
That would be true whether you had SSH access or not (but I think I'm missing your point). :confused:

Maybe you could try telnet'ing in and running the following command just to see if it exists?
Code:
dropbear -p 192.168.1.1:22 -a

That would be true whether you had SSH access or not (but I think I'm missing your point). :confused:

I assumed we cannot make custom modifications to the stock firmware without being able to enable custom scripts on JFFS. I might completely misunderstand the way the file system works, though. Looking around to see if there is a way to install software that isn't stock on the stock firmware, it looks like *if* it can be done, it isn't straightforward.

Maybe you could try telnet'ing in and running the following command just to see if it exists?
Code:
dropbear -p 192.168.1.1:22 -a

Thanks, I hadn't even tried it yet. It didn't work, but we sorta expected that. It will probably be best to just preconfigure a new router, postal mail it to a friend near the remote location, and have them swap it out for me. It was worth asking though, just in case someone knew a better way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!