What's new

Is it possible to set host name for a ZenWifi satellite node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tgl

Very Senior Member
I have a pair of ZenWifi XT8 nodes that I've set up to send their logs to an rsyslog server (via the "remote log server" setting in Advanced/System Log/General Log). The primary node reports its hostname using the host name I set in Advanced/LAN/LAN IP ... but the satellite makes its log entries as "ZenWiFi_XT8-C110". This is just cosmetic of course, but is there a way to set the host name for a satellite?

(BTW, much thanks to this forum for the advice to revert to firmware version 42095. I was just about ready to return the units as defective, because 45934 is unacceptably flaky.)

Hi there, It is absolutely possible to set the personal hostname but you need to wait for a few hours before you can do that, approximately 24hours. Thank you.
So, um ... where? It's been ~48 hours since I reconfigured these units, but I still don't see anyplace to set the satellite's host name.

You can.

SSH into the satellite node, verify that nvram get lan_hostname returns the current host name of your satellite node, in your case, ZenWiFi_XT8-C110.

Then change the value of this variable by running nvram set lan_hostname=CoolName, finally nvram commit.

Then reboot the satellite router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!