What's new

Is my AC86U toast?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For me it was, a noted before, shown not as a sticker on the box but printed on it.

View attachment 28749

IIRC It also noted that on the advert on Amazon's advert.

I also know that when I bought my AX88U that too shows the same, again the advert at Amazon also states that.

Asus were happy to help me a mine was just within the 3 years warranty.

Perhaps the warranty length can be a regional thing, as I'm in the UK..?

Maybe someone else might comment, are you in the US..?

Yes,I'm in the US. I'm pretty sure that my box looked exactly like yours. I threw away the box a while back,not thinking I would need it. After Asus responds,I may show them a Picture of yours to show them that they do have the 3 yr warranty on it and to explain it.

Had to dig my box out, as I bought from Amazon UK. Yup, 3 years Warranty it is, no matter what they say ;) It's on box. Mine is China also, but 2019 date.

Attachments

• DSC00097.png
    DSC00097.png
    673 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC00099.JPG
    DSC00099.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 242
Remember at first,Asus said it had a one year warranty and now they are saying 2-3 yrs?

First and foremost, I’d like to extend our sincerest apologies if our product at this point was not able to deliver up to your expectations and I thank you for giving us a chance to have it rectified. Let me further assist you with your concern.

The router has 2-3 years warranty, on our system it says 2 years. However, please provide us a copy of your invoice from your place of purchase in order for us to forward it to our product registration team for verifying. Invoice is important for our product registration team to verify the warranty of your router.

Please provide us a copy of your unit’s invoice for us to be able to forward this issue to our product registration team.
When attaching your receipt or invoice, please ensure it displays the following: 

(1) company’s logo 
(2) date of purchase 
(3) cost 
(4) serial and/or model number of ASUS product 
(5) ACCEPTABLE file types: PDF or JPG files 

I sent the invoice,but it doesn't show serial,etc. I don't think anything is going to happen with this getting replaced.

Last edited:
Serial should be on unit itself, plus it says serial AND/OR model, so not both, but either ;)

And for the record, a picture of another box won't cut it. The serial number will be on it too (of the other person's router, of course).

And for the record, a picture of another box won't cut it. The serial number will be on it too (of the other person's router, of course).
Yeah,I was going to show them the picture if they said that the don't come with a 3 yr warranty.

A pity that you got rid of the box. I do know that some companies will sell the same product globally but have differing warranties depending on the region. If you read some of the reviews of this model on the Amazon US website people are noting that it has a two years warranty.

When I bought the replacement AX88U it too was advertised on Amazons UK site with a three years warranty as well as labelling with that on the box. I took a screen grab of the advert and then I have the box.

Did you register it with Asus at the time of purchase..? I have other devices also registered with them.
I know of some devices which have a certain length of warranty and then extend that further if you register it with them.

They asked you for...

"serial and/or model number of ASUS product "

The Amazon invoice provides all of that information. The model number being suffice.

As noted I kept up the pressure with both Asus and Amazon, after all I saw it as being the primary responsibility of the retailer to resolve the issue. Asus were proving to be the most cooperative, but not geared up in the UK to deal direct with the customer, but it was Amazon who relented with a full refund.

Again good luck to you.

Last edited:
If only LAN4 led light up means one of the voltage control chip burned, common case for AC86U, simply replace the chip will solve it, costs me about 10USD to get it fix. This chip called MT3125, I got it from Taobao, less than 1USD per unit. I sent my AC86U to a hand phone repair shop with the new chip and asked them to help me to swap it, they charged me about 9USD.
13348079-4EF1-475D-9080-F560724C9BD9.jpeg

Before

08827FF8-51C1-4C6E-8DBF-F142857CC123.png

After

42DFCDDB-8883-4F53-930D-A506933AE3BD.png

Last edited:
If only LAN4 led light up means one of the voltage control chip burned, common case for AC86U, simply replace the chip will solve it, costs me about 10USD to get it fix. This chip called MT3125, I got it from Taobao, less than 1USD per unit. I sent my AC86U to a hand phone repair shop with the new chip and asked them to help me to swap it, they charged me about 9USD.View attachment 28790View attachment 28791View attachment 28792
Nice. I'm always soldering,so this would be an easy fix for me. I'll have to grab one of those chips. Thanks for the info.

If only LAN4 led light up means one of the voltage control chip burned, common case for AC86U, simply replace the chip will solve it, costs me about 10USD to get it fix. This chip called MT3125, I got it from Taobao, less than 1USD per unit. I sent my AC86U to a hand phone repair shop with the new chip and asked them to help me to swap it, they charged me about 9USD.View attachment 28790View attachment 28791View attachment 28792

Interesting. I wonder if this is it:

MT3125_PDS_R0.2_1223Y15 (m3tekic.com)

產品介紹 4 (m3tekic.com)

Looks like they send free samples(?).

A QFN3x3mm package drawing... looks difficult to solder:

Package Drawing - QFN 16-Lead Plastic (3mm × 3mm, Exposed Pad Variation AA) 05-08-1700 Rev A (analog.com)

OE

Last edited:
If only LAN4 led light up means one of the voltage control chip burned, common case for AC86U, simply replace the chip will solve it, costs me about 10USD to get it fix. This chip called MT3125, I got it from Taobao, less than 1USD per unit. I sent my AC86U to a hand phone repair shop with the new chip and asked them to help me to swap it, they charged me about 9USD.View attachment 28792
Is it the gray chip with the two metal tabs and 1R0 on it? Can you post a link to the site where you got it? Taobao comes up in Chinese.

Is it the gray chip with the two metal tabs and 1R0 on it?

No, it's the little square black one with MT3125 on it or else it's burned and bulging.

OE

Got an email today from Asus and they have Escalated this to who ever they escalate things to. Have to see what happens next.

Oh, oh! The Escalater is baaaacck! Everyone, quick, check Skynet for unusual activity.

Sorry, my mistake, too much coffee with my Bailey's! :)

If only LAN4 led light up means one of the voltage control chip burned, common case for AC86U, simply replace the chip will solve it, costs me about 10USD to get it fix. This chip called MT3125, I got it from Taobao, less than 1USD per unit. I sent my AC86U to a hand phone repair shop with the new chip and asked them to help me to swap it, they charged me about 9USD.View attachment 28790

Before

View attachment 28791

After

View attachment 28792

Mind to share link? :)

Well,bassically Asus told me that they couldn't do anything for me,so that's the end of the story.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!