What's new

Is Reboot Scheduler working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

Fellow Friends, I installed reboot scheduler not too long ago and I set it up to reboot ever day at 5 am. I was just looking at my system log page and noticed that the uptime shows 11 days 5 hour(s) 32 minute(s) 7 seconds. This should reset every time the reboot takes place right? So I'm thinking that reboot scheduler is not working :/

This is what I see in my /jffs/scripts/init-start file:

Code:
# cat /jffs/scripts/init-start
#!/bin/sh
[ -x /jffs/dnscrypt/manager ] && /jffs/dnscrypt/manager init-start
cru a amtm_RebootScheduler "0 5 * * * service reboot" # Added by amtm

Any ideas?

Edit:

I just found these settings in the Web GUI which I don't know if these come standard or if the reboot scheduler I installed from AMTM added these in. But they weren't enabled, so I enabled them. I'm thinking this is the system reboot scheduler and the reboot scheduler from AMTM is different.
1602859339107.png

Last edited:
Check that your init-start script has actually had an effect by issuing this command:

cru l

I don't know why amtm has a reboot scheduler when there's already one built into the firmware GUI. My guess is that at some point the built in one was deemed unreliable. I'd suggest you use the GUI scheduler by preference.

Check that your init-start script has actually had an effect by issuing this command:

cru l

I don't know why amtm has a reboot scheduler when there's already one built into the firmware GUI. My guess is that at some point the built in one was deemed unreliable. I'd suggest you use the GUI scheduler by preference.

Oh wow there's a lot of stuff in there!

Code:
# cru l
0 5 * * * service reboot #amtm_RebootScheduler#
30 3 * * * /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh -check #flexqos#
29 8 */7 * * service restart_letsencrypt #LetsEncrypt#
00 2 * * Tue sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
30 1 * * Tue sh /opt/share/diversion/file/stats.div #Diversion_WeeklyStats#
*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin generate #ntpMerlin#
12,42 * * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#
0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats_generate#
3 0 * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats trimdb #uiDivStats_trim#
* * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats querylog #uiDivStats_querylog#
4,9,14,19,24,29,34,39,44,49,54,59 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats flushtodb #uiDivStats_flushtodb#
25 23 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
20 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
31 */12 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats #Skynet_genstats#
*/10 * * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div #Diversion_YTblocking#

cru l

When I have set the reboot scheduler to reboot once a week early in the morning [to clear memory for accumulated memory leaks] sometimes it works and then it stops working. Never knew why and would just maually reboot the router. "Nice" to see that others have had this problem.

I did the cru l and got:

Code:
XXXXXXXXXXXX@RT-AC68U-XXXX:/tmp/home/root# cru l
5 0 * * * /opt/sbin/logrotate /opt/etc/logrotate.conf >> /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily 2>&1 #logrotate#
0 0 * * * /jffs/scripts/vpnmgr refreshcacheddata #vpnmgr_cacheddata#
*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/YazFi check #YazFi#
30 3 * * * /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh -check #flexqos#
00 2 * * Sat sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
25 4 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
17 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
48 */12 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats #Skynet_genstats#
XXXXXXXXXXXX@RT-AC68U-XXXX:/tmp/home/root#

I don't know why the script to reboot the router disappears. And unlike jorgsmash I don't see [0 5 * * * service reboot #amtm_RebootScheduler#]

Code:
cat /jffs/scripts/init-start
#!/bin/sh
#nvram set clkfreq=800,666    #  These settings merely allow the GUI
#nvram set clkfreq=1000,800   #  on your router to accurately show
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800    #  the current speed without actually
#nvram set clkfreq=1400,800   #  changing anything--its optional
cru a amtm_RebootScheduler "28 5 * * Mon service reboot" # Added by amtm

Last edited:
Oh wow there's a lot of stuff in there!
Well it looks like the reboot command was successfully placed in there so I don't know why it's not working. If I had to guess I'd say it's because there are other processes that are scheduled to run at the same time and that may delay the reboot service sufficiently for it to timeout.

I'd suggest that you remove amtm's scheduled reboot and set the GUI reboot for 04:50.

Well it looks like the reboot command was successfully placed in there so I don't know why it's not working. If I had to guess I'd say it's because there are other processes that are scheduled to run at the same time and that may delay the reboot service sufficiently for it to timeout.

I'd suggest that you remove amtm's scheduled reboot and set the GUI reboot for 04:50.
That is a quick fix for the amtm version that isn't working for me too. Just did it, wait for next few monday mornings and see if it reboots properly.

Edit: just removed the Reboot Scheduler on amtm since it's not working properly anyway.

Certain router models (86U) don't always reboot cleanly, so watch out.

However, the GUI based reboot scheduler has been rock solid on my AC68U & AX88U rebooting nightly for as long as I've had the routers. (Note though that I don't run any add-ons, or have any usb devices, etc - very basic setup with both VPN server and client)

Certain router models (86U) don't always reboot cleanly, so watch out.

However, the GUI based reboot scheduler has been rock solid on my AC68U & AX88U rebooting nightly for as long as I've had the routers. (Note though that I don't run any add-ons, or have any usb devices, etc - very basic setup with both VPN server and client)
I agree sometimes basic is best. It can get confusing and bogged down with how many scripts/custom code you are running. Makes diagnosing issues harder too.