What's new

Is RT-AX3000 lot better than RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

Currently using RT-AC68U with rmerlin firmware & few add ons. Is it worth upgrading if price is good, I can sell my 68U for maybe $20 less than what I would pay for 3300. Just saw one on FB marketplace for around $100.

The AX3000 is triple core @ 1.5GHz, while the AC68U is dual core @ 800MHz. And the AX3000 is wifi6 vs. the AC68U is wifi5. And the Ax3000 has double the flash and memory, and more MIMO streams. I'd say that's a substantial improvement for $20.

One negative is the AX3000 only has the one USB port, but it's gen 3.1, so you lose and gain at the same time.

Despite the better specs, it doesn't always mean you'll see a vast improvement in performance. Routers are funny that way. The preferred router these days seems to be the RT-AX86U, but it's far more expensive ($250).

Last edited:
I can't answer your question directly but I recently upgraded from RT-AC68U A2 to GT-AX11000 A1.1. Our house (5000ft 3 storey) only use n and ac clients and see no practical improvement at all. 2.4GHz is a bit stronger but 5GHz-2 is the same, and 5GHz-1 is practically useless due to extremely short range. I put my AC68U in ac bridge mode and connected to my QNAP and it actually performs worse than my decade old Trendnet TEW-687GA n bridge.
Since I got my AX11000 for free, I am undecided whether to keep it. But if I had to pay for it, I would definitely return it. My advice? Do try a new router if you feel the need to but don't sell your AC68U until you are happy with the new router. Despite its age, AC68U is still a very good router and I much prefer the vertical design which saves space.

I could then say the same for my Zen WiFi that many others love...

No one is stopping you to say it. This RT-AX3000 router is the same as RT-AX58U and it's the most bugged Asus router in my routers collection. I don't like it and don't recommend it. I never test new firmware on it due to past unpredictable results experience. I would keep the trusty RT-AC68U instead.

No one is stopping you to say it. This RT-AX3000 router is the same as RT-AX58U and it's the most bugged Asus router in my routers collection. I don't like it and don't recommend it. I never test new firmware on it due to past unpredictable results experience. I would keep the trusty RT-AC68U instead.
G*d I hope you're wrong....I just bought one to fix all my Zen issues!

Currently using RT-AC68U with rmerlin firmware & few add ons. Is it worth upgrading if price is good, I can sell my 68U for maybe $20 less than what I would pay for 3300. Just saw one on FB marketplace for around $100.
This past year I have given away four AC68Us (soon to be five) to a friend who likes to tinker with networking. It's twelve year old technology that has been looking for a replacement. If it's still working well for you then keep using it and save up your money for a higher end Asus AX/Wifi 6 router. The AX68U is supposed to be ok but for me I wouldn't get anything less than the AX86U. If you are going to bother changing routers you might as well get one that will be a great performer for at least the next five years until Wifi 7 routers arrive.

You need a landline for that. :D :p

I’ve bought it but now reluctant to sell mine or flash rmerlin firmware on it. Is anyone using it with rmerlin firmware? I thought it’s a good upgrade from 68U but if not I’m sure I can sell it and recover my money.

I thought it’s a good upgrade from 68U but if not I’m sure I can sell it and recover my money.

Well... is it a good upgrade from what you see so far compared to your old router? If it is - keep it and use it. Flash Asuswrt-Merlin only if you need extra features not available in Asuswrt. Otherwise just use latest stock Asuswrt from Jan 10, 2022 - it's newer than latest Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4.

I
Well... is it a good upgrade from what you see so far compared to your old router? If it is - keep it and use it. Flash Asuswrt-Merlin only if you need extra features not available in Asuswrt. Otherwise just use latest stock Asuswrt from Jan 10, 2022 - it's newer than latest Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4.
I can see firmware 3.0.0.4.386_47909-g38ccf74. Check shows it’s latest. Only issue I can see so far is that 5Ghz SSID takes ages to show up on devices. 2.4Ghz shows immediately. Will flash rmerlin as I run unbound Skynet etc. on 68U. Web interface is a lot faster and 2.4 GHz speeds are faster too.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!