What's new

Is RT-AX56u worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amorak

Regular Contributor
My ac3100 died so looking to replace it many views on a good replacement ? How’s the ax56u?

How do you know your RT-AC3100 is dead? Have you tried reviving it?

Fully Reset Router and Network

Have you tried a new power supply for it?

The RT-AX58U or better is what I would suggest too.

While I agree that the ax58 is a better router than the ax56, the difference in price varies from 'just a few bucks' to 'almost 50% more' so it depends on your needs / price point and what offers you find at the time. Right now around here the '56 is being sold in amazon for 129 € (last friday there were a few units at 100€), where the '58 goes to all the way to 185 €.
In any case both are very good routers. Mine is doing a fine job as an aimesh node with Merlin fw.

The RT-AX56U doesn't have Media Bridge mode. That right there is a deal-breaker for me.

The RT-AX56U doesn't have Media Bridge mode. That right there is a deal-breaker for me.

.. at least using Merlin 386.1 beta 4 Media Bridge mode surely appears as a selectable option under administration->operation mode in my ax56. I Have not tested it though...

That is good to know! I would like to see anyone who is using it reliably though.

Stock Asus firmware doesn't give that option (today).

Having had a RT-AX56U, then a RT-AX58U, get the AX58U. The Wi-Fi range difference is noticeable, especially using 5GHz. I have since upgraded the AX58U to a AX88U and Wi-Fi performance has been about the same, so unless you need the extra CPU or RAM, that upgrade really isn't worth it,

Having had a RT-AX56U, then a RT-AX58U, get the AX58U. The Wi-Fi range difference is noticeable, especially using 5GHz. I have since upgraded the AX58U to a AX88U and Wi-Fi performance has been about the same, so unless you need the extra CPU or RAM, that upgrade really isn't worth it,
It is not only CPU and RAM between 58 and 88... ax88 has also 4 additional gigabit ports that you may need, faster wifi if you have clients that support it (not only coverage which I agree should be similar) and an additional USB port that you may require for a printer or a backup 4g connection,.. I would say that the ax88 is much better (and expensive) in almost all the ways.

I'm using AX56U because that is the cheapest Asus AX router in the location where I lived now. so far after flash it with Merlin it's all accommodating my needs, I'm previously using Asus RTN with tomato fw and so far the combination of 56U and Merlin is satisfying me..

PM me if you need anything from AX56U

Hi! I was just wondering how media bridge mode differs from simply connecting devices thru the ethernet cables to a router in (wireless) AiMesh node. I’m currently using this method and thinking if it would be better switching to media bridge after reading your comment. Thanks!

For wired capable clients, yes, Media Bridge mode is superior.

Do note that you will lose the Wi-Fi capabilities for wireless clients at those far locations though (if they're needed).

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Media Bridge Mode

Interesting. Thank you very much for the very informative info.

Last question though...if I do go with the media bridge route, I would then be using all wired aimesh setup (2 nodes) + 1 media bridge (wireless). Is this setup ok (mixing wired AiMesh nodes and a wireless media bridge)? Also, can I finally enable “Ethernet Backhaul Mode” under AiMesh Settings since I won’t be having any wireless aimesh nodes anymore? Thanks again!

Yes, that would be the ideal. The router sees the Media Bridge as a simple (but capable) client.

Only all AiMesh nodes need to be wired.