What's new

is Synology right for my needs (vs DUI)? Network/NAS update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you - I have not heard of Xpenology before and check it out. Right now I am torn between waiting and see what this fall would bring to solutions like Thecus NAS (i.e. embedding next version of Windows 2016 storage/essentials server allowing me to run the domain on NAS without full hardware, right now they offer it but in 2012 R2 version which soon to be outdated) and building my own unix/Linux based solution , either using xpenology or openmediavault.

One more question for Synology experts - is there a built in virtualization package (something that would allow to run VMs over NAS) in Synology? The other choice is to virtualize NAS itsels (Xpenology provides VM image out of the box) and I will read the forums to see what people do

One more question for Synology experts - is there a built in virtualization package (something that would allow to run VMs over NAS) in Synology? The other choice is to virtualize NAS itsels (Xpenology provides VM image out of the box) and I will read the forums to see what people do

Weren't they also going down the LXC/Docker path?

QNAP did an adventure in KVM/QEMU, but has seen the light that containers are the future with their OS and app packages... as it works well with both ARMv7/8 and x86...

I just tried Xpenology... under Oracle VM on my Win 7 I5 PC. With that VM, I've run Windows and Apple OSX. But when I have the VM power up and boot Xpenology's CD, it runs fine, displays login prompt. But Synology Assistant does not detect the Xpenology NAS. My real DS212 is detected. I've fiddled with settings to no avail. My PC can ping the 192.168.1.180 address that Xpenology displays.

Stumped.

I just tried Xpenology... under Oracle VM on my Win 7 I5 PC. With that VM, I've run Windows and Apple OSX. But when I have the VM power up and boot Xpenology's CD, it runs fine, displays login prompt. But Synology Assistant does not detect the Xpenology NAS. My real DS212 is detected. I've fiddled with settings to no avail. My PC can ping the 192.168.1.180 address that Xpenology displays.

Stumped.
Steve,
I have not installed it myself but a buddy of mine did last year and showed it to me.
He did not have any issues. I do not know the details of the install but he made it sound just as simple as the youtube video I watched about 6 months ago on how to install it.

There are many online tutorials so if the one you tried didn't work, you might want to google for another one or watch one of the videos then start over.

Let us know your results.
I may break down and give this an install one of these days. Just so little time and my Syno box runs like a champ so there is no big need for me to devote any time to another project just for fun.

I ran XPenology on a USB boot flash drive. Then loaded up and ran DSM5. Ran fine. Ran fast on older Dell E6500 laptop.
I don't run it now, as my DS212 is fine for my needs.

Wanted to provide an update on what I ended up doing
- I decided that advice of not putting all of the eggs in the same basket (building super-server to do everything I want) was a prudent one and focus on risk segmentation/management. As such data would be on NAS devices that would serve data and nothing else. Virtualization would run on its own hardware which would be powered up/down as needed, and domain controller would have its own server vs being a also a NAS and virtualization server.

as such
- went and purchased DS216J to become 'primary NAS' and complement existing DS115j. Once fully set up, the intent is to have two active copies of the data on each NAS, have automatic copy/sync, plus USB3 HDD backup of data. data will not stay on server or anywhere else. have not decided whether I would segment NAS into utility VLAN with other devices like HDHR, Obihai, etc or keep within windows domain VLAN
- bought qotom mini server (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XOK93BU/?tag=snbforums-20) with 4 GB LAN ports and Celeron 3215U processor to act as domain controller. the hardware itself was $140, add taxes, shipping, customs duties, plus 8 GB of RAM and 250 GB msata drive I am slightly under $300 for small factor, small power consumption dual core from 2016 with RAM extension capabilities (up to 16 GB) . Once here, I would install Windows 2012 Essentials in migration mode and move DC role to that hardware demoting old server (i7-3770k with 32 GB of RAM)
- old server would become dedicated virtualization lab to host existing VM and other trial software I want to work with for things like certification/training (primarily Microsoft Server 2016 + SQL Server 2016 RDBMS). it would leave in separate VLAN from "my" machines as nothing I would do in virtualization lab would either need access to my resource or contain my data

I have not yet picked the hypervisor (Hyper-V or VMWare option) as I am still reviewing limitations of "free"/home additions - likely in one months once Microsoft fully releases Windows Server 2016 to see what is new in Hyper-V and how buggy that staff is.

Thank you for all of the earlier help!

I have not yet picked the hypervisor (Hyper-V or VMWare option) as I am still reviewing limitations of "free"/home additions - likely in one months once Microsoft fully releases Windows Server 2016 to see what is new in Hyper-V and how buggy that staff is.

HyperV works pretty well - perhaps a bit windows centric as it is...

Played around a bit with Xen vs KVM - I prefer KVM as it's just easier to work with, but that's just my opinion

Also consider LXC/LXD - neat stuff going on there... for BSD/Solaris folks, this is old news, but the linux community has done good things...

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised how easy Hyper-V VM operational as a test on my Windows 10 workstation , convert VDI to VHD hardware, set up virtual switch and boot up a VM. the longest was waiting for Virtualbox media manager to convert the disk storage from VDI to VHD , the rest was very easy and simple..

now waiting for Amazon parts to kick up domain server migration and set up replication between two sinology boxes. once domain upgrade is finished, time for Hyper-V server 2016 Evaluation edition to be set up as virtualization lab hosting Windows 2016/SQL 2016 images I want to see for some review/certification work.