What's new

Is There Any Known Compatibility Issues with SFP+ on RT-AX89X?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexenhammer

Regular Contributor
Hi,
So I managed to get RT-AX89X.
I want to know if the SFP+ port has any compatibility issues?
Mainly with 10G Intel E10GSFPSR SFP+ modules or Chinese MultiGIG RJ45 Transceivers

My number #1 option is the cheap set of: x2 11$ used 10G Intel E10GSFPSR SFP modules + used 30$ Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX341 Card or alternatively 40$ Chinese Intel x520 card + New Fiber optic cables, 10 meters Cm3 under 10$ or better isolated CM4 is 15$
Such full kit will be under 70$

The more expensive route is: Chinese 60$ MultiGIG RJ45 transceiver + 70$ Chinese 10G Aquantia card = 130$

I prefer the cheaper option of course, especially because both Mellanox card and Intel module are all used but Original Big Brand products.

Hi,
So I managed to get RT-AX89X.
I want to know if the SFP+ port has any compatibility issues?
Mainly with 10G Intel E10GSFPSR SFP+ modules or Chinese MultiGIG RJ45 Transceivers

My number #1 option is the cheap set of: x2 11$ used 10G Intel E10GSFPSR SFP modules + used 30$ Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX341 Card or alternatively 40$ Chinese Intel x520 card + New Fiber optic cables, 10 meters Cm3 under 10$ or better isolated CM4 is 15$
Such full kit will be under 70$

The more expensive route is: Chinese 60$ MultiGIG RJ45 transceiver + 70$ Chinese 10G Aquantia card = 130$

I prefer the cheaper option of course, especially because both Mellanox card and Intel module are all used but Original Big Brand products.
I am using a 10Gtek "10GBase-T SFP+ Transceiver" connected to a Netgear GS110MX 10G port with no problems. I also connected the SFP+ port directly to my Synology NAS with a 10Gb PCI card, again with no problems.
I also tried connecting to a 1Gb switch which worked, but shows a 10Gb link in the status.
Other than the SFP+ module is a sloppy fit everything seems to be running with no real issues.

I did however see a strange system hang where all wireless devices could not connect to the network, requiring a reboot of my modem, RT AX89X router and the GT AC5300 AI mesh node, not sure what happened, and did not get a chance to figure anything out as I had to get back onto a video conference call

I did however see a strange system hang where all wireless devices could not connect to the network, requiring a reboot of my modem, RT AX89X router

Had the same issue with my Ax89X today all 2.4GHz wireless gave me connection refused, the 5GHz worked fine, also had to turn the router off for 5 mins, all working again but all devices had to put passwords in as they detected it as a new network and I had to click the allow others on network access.

Still have an issue with the sfp+ and allowing a computer access to my nas, even though it’s in the GUI interface so may have to factory reset it and see why the router is blocking connections to the nas on sfp+

UPDATE: Decided to ping the ip of the nas (found in GUI) after it showed up in my list of devices, it pinged back 5 packets so decided to try another reboot and it came back, strange 1st time it has happened

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!