What's new

Is there any news of IFTTT compliance in Asus Merlin firmware for RT 68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That’s your ideA. A lot of people who are not teksavvy need capabilities to turn the router on/off with Alexa

I can’t always be around to do it.

Or other commands too

If there are issues at home I would like my wife to be able to reboot the router by a simple command to Alexa

But, if your router is ‘down’ and needs a reboot, would you have access to Alexa anyway? It’s Catch22.

If someone is at home, just toggle the power switch. If not, you probably won’t have remote access anyway so IFTT is a mute point.

But is it really worth the risk of exposing your network to to outside world? Everyone’s mileage is different but that’s a big no-no for me and many others.

You are obviously entitled to do what you wish, but there is an alternative to do what you want, perhaps without the bells and whistles of speech recognition etc.

Set up a VPN, SSH and use the command line. There are SSH clients that allow you to set macros so just press a button and it will run your command without typing it in fully each time.

HTH.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!